Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Roller Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 08:35 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Double Roller Question

Ok. I took the chain/oil pump/sproket(snout of crank) off.

Now I have installed the new double roller sproket in the same place as the stock one was at.

First question - does it matter how I put on the the new rollmaster cam gear on? Should it be put on the way the stocker was? does it matter?

Second question - which dot do I use to line it up dot to dot? theres two on the crank snout sprocket; its the one by the teeth right?

also before removing everything I did not get it at TDC - when should I do this?

Just want to be sure before I go and install the cam and line it up and all.

Thanks.

I have also been folowing ls1howto's instruction religiously...
Old 12-03-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hardest thing by far for me in this whole project was lining up the friggin crank sprocket with the cam sprocket. I'm not talking about dot to dot, I'm talking about depth.

What I ended up doing was bolting the cam sprocket to the cam (torqued down, no loc-tite yet) then I pushed the crank sprocket on until the two gears were flush with each other. The lining up process for me was the hardest.

I was trying to get a good reference point the I could measure both sprockets off of, because you want it with in .010" of each other. I wonder if this is something that wasn't checked on the guys with broken double rollers. If I were a shop that built LS1's all the time, I would machine a jig/bracket that could be used to stop the crank sprocket from going in deeper by hitting the cam sprocket.

Anyway, back to your question, the cam gear can only go on one way becuase of the pin (IIRC). The crank gear dot closest to the teeth is the 0 degree reference dot. If you use one of the others then you are advancing or retarding the timing.

As for the TDC, you want to align them when you put your chain on. So, first put them on w/o a chain. Get the depth set.

Bring the #1 piston to TDC. Place the cams dot to 6 O'clock, pull off the three cam bolts and the sprocket, wrap the chain around the crank sprocket then place the cam sprocket in the chain (top of cam sprocket to underside of the top of the chain, then put the sprocket back on the cam. if it is all lined up, pull a bolt off, one at a time and put some loc-tite on are torque them down.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:42 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful. Thank you.

Last edited by Lithium; 12-04-2005 at 02:53 PM.