Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Oil Analysis - Post Cam Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Used Oil Analysis - Post Cam Change

Below is this years oil analysis. I changed from Amsoil 5W-30 to German Castrol 0W-30 and also included Lube Control in the oil and Fuel Power in the fuel. The other major change was the removal of the Donaldson air filter and installation of a Vararam and K&N filter.

After about 3,000 miles I installed a VHP cam with Crane 1.8 roller rockers, new valve springs/hardened pushrods, guide plates, Katech timing chain and the GMPP timing chain damper. I also sealed the bottom of the front cover with silicone. The car was run another 1,000 miles prior to this oil sample.

I was hoping to get an unbiased look at how the Vararam and the K&N filter changed my silicon level from the Donaldson, but the results will now be skewed because of the front timing cover sealing. Overall, I think the results look very good, especially in light of the fact that many new parts had to wear in after they were installed.

Comments, insights?

Old 12-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually the item of concern is the silicon content, which is basically "sand / dirt / dust" whatever label you wish to apply; unfortunately it went way up, and I'm afraid that's probably a direct result of the K&N.

Let me clarify, I have a K&N / Vararam combo as well, and yes, I went to great lengths / actually modified the Vararam intake / applied foam gasket material, etc. to seal the damn air box. But the bottom line is, esp. in it's "forced induction" environment, the K&N is going to let though more dirt. I'm still of the opinion that as long as the particles are small enough, the oil should be able to carry them away, not harm the motor over time.

Did you / could you ask Blackstone about the specifics of the silicon score, and it's net effect on engine wear?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:38 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this what Vette guys talk about during their meets? j/k
Old 12-21-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The use of silicone sealer will also elevate this level, so since I used silicone to re-seal the front cover it is hard to differentiate between the Vararam filter and the sealer. As an example, my first oil analysis with the Donaldson and a brand new car (after about 5K miles) my silicon level was at 68 but was determined to be leaching from the silicon used in the new motor. That number came down in time so I am not sure what this high number reflects at this point.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
But the bottom line is, esp. in it's "forced induction" environment, the K&N is going to let though more dirt.
That's the main reason I pulled my K&N off and went back to the paper filter.