Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katech Rod Bolt Install. Did I Screw Up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Katech Rod Bolt Install. Did I Screw Up?

I just finished installing the rod bolts one at a time and torqued each one to spec before moving to the next one. Unfortunately the writeup I used said to use 30W oil. I had some ARP assembly lube, so I figured that was better than the 30W. What I didn't realize was that when using the the assembly lube, you torque the bolts to a lower setting (At least that's what ARP recommends for their bolts).
How badly have I screwed up? Can I simply loosen each bolt and retorque it to the new lower setting?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg_E
I just finished installing the rod bolts one at a time and torqued each one to spec before moving to the next one. Unfortunately the writeup I used said to use 30W oil. I had some ARP assembly lube, so I figured that was better than the 30W. What I didn't realize was that when using the the assembly lube, you torque the bolts to a lower setting (At least that's what ARP recommends for their bolts).
How badly have I screwed up? Can I simply loosen each bolt and retorque it to the new lower setting?

Let me consult engineering and I'll have an answer for you ASAP.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I call customer service!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Anyone know what I should do?
Can I just back them off and retorque them to a lower setting, and what would that number be?
I took two of them out and mic'd them and they don't appear to have stretched. the ARP molylube is already in the rod bolt threads so it wouldn't be easy to get it out at this point. I'll do what's right, I just need to know what right is.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greg_E
Anyone know what I should do?
Can I just back them off and retorque them to a lower setting, and what would that number be?
I took two of them out and mic'd them and they don't appear to have stretched. the ARP molylube is already in the rod bolt threads so it wouldn't be easy to get it out at this point. I'll do what's right, I just need to know what right is.

If you need to do something before I get a hold of the correct engineer, I would say wash them, mic them and reinstall. I doubt they've stretched. If you want to be 100% sure, I'll talk to you Tuesday.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

I'll wait to hear from you. Thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 02:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok,
Check to see if any of them stretched. If they have not, you can re-use them. Wash them and retorque to spec with recommended lubricant (30W)