Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

Well I ran into a deal on a 98 White Z28 recently.

From what I know, all it needs is
1. Head Gaskets
2. Steering Column
3. Rims and Tires (Crapers on now)

And that is all that is needed to be done, as said. But, I know any reason to need new head gaskets it would have to overheat alot.

Anyways the car is for $1200, it's a automatic 98 Z28. Not sure of the mileage, i'll update and find out in a bit.

Just from this though, lets say I wanted to buy it. I believe it's a great deal. I know I could rebuild the motor if I had to, and fix any other problems and if I wanted to turn around and sell it I could. Oh, and there is NO salvage title for sure, and cosmeticaly it looks actaully pretty amazing/new.

So I told my father about the deal on a visit with him so he calls his friend who is a "great" mechanic. Then he calls me today and says a crate motor is 6k. I was like you have lost your damn mind, thne he told me it would take 4k just to rebuild it. I was like maybe at a overpaid shop. From what I remember when I used to have my '99 and '02 Z28, you could get most of the parts fairly cheaply and me and a buddy could do the work and make this car worth it and run great. This is all assuming I need to rebuild it.. which I probally do knowing a deal like this.

Anyways just trying to get opinions, prices, and ideas in general on what I should do, or which route I should take!

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Launching!

For only 1200.00 or 12 grand???? If it's the first and the body is straight I would say that is a really great deal....
Old 01-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98 camaro
For only 1200.00 or 12 grand???? If it's the first and the body is straight I would say that is a really great deal....
$1200.00 dollars.

The body is fine, the paint job for a 98 is actually really nice! I'm just intrested on if I had to rebuild the motor or buy one how much I would probally be spending, and is it still worth it?
Old 01-08-2006, 10:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1,200?

That's damn cheap.

Is the engine the only part that isn't good?

Sounds like a steal to me. A good tranny, rear end, body panels, etc are worth at least that much.

You could build a badass motor for not too much money to put in it, buy a crate motor or shop around for a cheaper used LS1/LS6 from a wrecked vehicle.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
$1,200?

That's damn cheap.

Is the engine the only part that isn't good?

Sounds like a steal to me. A good tranny, rear end, body panels, etc are worth at least that much.

You could build a badass motor for not too much money to put in it, buy a crate motor or shop around for a cheaper used LS1/LS6 from a wrecked vehicle.
Yup 1,200. I'm just intrested on how much I might be spending to rebuild the motor or just buy a crate? Guess I should just go calling around?

The only thing I KNOW for sure is it needs a new steering column, head gaskets, and rims and tires.

That's it.