Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling engine out the top

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pulling engine out the top

Is it possible to pull the engine out the top with the heads and intake still on. Trans/bellhousing/clutch/flywheel will already be out. I personally do not feel comfortable jacking my car to the ceiling to get a motor out!
By the way, I have an engine hoist that has a fully adjustable picker. I can pick the motor straight up (as in the crank pulley is facing the ceiling)
Old 01-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Just pulled mine last weekend.Heads can stay on but take off intake it gives you more room.Had chain run from back of one head diagonal to front of other head.It came out pretty easy.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Yes you can take it out the top. I used the "happy hooker" which uses the valley cover bolts as anchors. Yes the intake should come off. It will be fairly easy with all the already out of the way. The radiator also obviously has to come out too.

This was a quick picture of it i found.
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=10616
Old 01-17-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you leave the valley cover on or take it off. if you took it off, will the tool clear the knock sensor and harness. also are those bolts actually strong enough to hold the weight of the motor?
Old 01-17-2006, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01350ss
1. did you leave the valley cover on or take it off.
2. if you took it off, will the tool clear the knock sensor and harness.
3. also are those bolts actually strong enough to hold the weight of the motor?
1. Take it off. but if you decide not to take it off you definitly need longer bolts.

2. The knock sensors have to come out when you take off the valley cover. Once they are disconnected, they unscrew from the block. I would not reccomend NOT taking the cover off. You'll see this once you get the intake off.

3. Yes, however it would be a good idea to buy some separate bolts with the same threads. The block by itself is not very heavy. I took mine out with the tranny and all still attached and used the same bolts.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pics on my site; did the staggered front and back of block method. Took off intake and hood.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

I took mine out the top 2002 z28. I did not remove the intake, i did remove the crank pulley and all motor mounts and brackets and coil packs. I also pulled the motor using the second header bolts-parallel with each other. left ac in car cable tied to front for room. left rubber molding for hood on by windshield.