Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head porting???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head porting???

I have an extra set of heads that i want to port.....I have the thunder racing cheatr cam 220/220.... any suggestions on the port specs?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:39 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Do you want to do the porting or are you talking about having someone else do the porting? In order to do a halfway decent job, there's a lot of learning involved. However, it can be very rewarding (or terribly frustrating if you penetrate the water jacket on the last runner that you are working on). Caution is advised. Porting is a game of understanding the internal aerodynamics within the cylinder head and patience. If it is not something you are willing to research carefully, I advise against it.

There are numerous threads on hand porting if you want to do some searching. Here is a good article to read by porting expert Joe Mondello on basic street porting that preserves the Vortec producing effect of the basic head design by retaining and improving on the swirl characteristics http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb120118.htm. I used Joe's technique on porting my own cast iron heads.

Steve

Last edited by Steve Bryant; 01-18-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Teching In

The port specs you are asking for depend on what engine displacement your working with and what valve sizes you will be working with. Assuming that your planning to put the heads on a N/A street motor and your working with a 3.898 bore, I would suggest not going with anything bigger than 2.020 intake and 1.575 exhaust. The best beginner port job starts with a bowl blend, which is one of the easiest ways to pull some power out of the heads, and is relatively low risk, if you take your time. The first step to a bowl port is to have the throat of the port bored to 90% of the valve diameter on the intake side, this process tunes the throat of the intake. Most head shops can do this for you for a reasonable fee. After the throat is bored you what to blend everything in from the bottom of the valve job around the short turn of the port. If you plan on having the heads valvejobed, have it done after you complete your bowl blend in case you nick the seat. Going further into the port takes a bit of experience, and if you just go in to take material out, more than likely you will just make the runner volume bigger and take torque out of the engine. I would be glad to help you though it just give me a call.
J