Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cometic vs. SCE Titan head gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cometic vs. SCE Titan head gaskets?

Since the Fel-Pro head gaskets I wanted (http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...-5713G&FROM=MG) seem to not be stocked anywhere and on back order for longer than I can wait I'm trying to decide between two other gaskets that suite my needs in terms of compressed thickness and bore size.

First is the Cometics. http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=157
I'm looking at p/n 119-H1294045S 3.905 bore and .045 compressed thickness. Some people here swear by the Cometics. I personally don't see any reason to pay the price that they're asking other than the fact I'm in a bind and need something. Lately though it sounds as if some people were encountering sealing problems with the Cometics and if I'm paying that much for head gaskets they better sure as hell seal.

Next is the SCE Titans. http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...1004LS&FROM=MG
4.000 bore .043 thickness. I still think these are real expensive but they're less than cometics. I haven't heard many experiences with these gaskets and I'm not sure what to think about the fact that they're copper. Will copper work well in aluminum to aluminum?

I need some help here, preferably that of experience. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a few on here that have bought the Titans. I'm also interested in hearing feed back on them since my Cometics leaked a touch.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard good thinks about the titans. The machine shop I use has been using them...seems to praise them. He does alot of BBC/nitrous motors. I am running some cometics on a NA motor, no leaking at all. I think they are real picky about the finish on the heads...from what I understand.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The ICS's look to be the better gasket, but I don't see them listed for the LS-1. Shurly they make them????? http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html
Old 01-22-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
The ICS's look to be the better gasket, but I don't see them listed for the LS-1. Shurly they make them????? http://www.scegaskets.com/products/ics.html
Yeah they do, I found these by using their "search by engine" feature. http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...rchType=Engine
They just don't happen to fit my needs in terms of compressed thickness and appear to be on backorder.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

We use the SCE Titans on Mr. Powells 8 Second N20 car. We put some silicon around the water jacket holes, torqued them down, fired it up, let it heat cycle, re-torqued, and raced. Not a drop of water to be found.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But there are people who advise against using a copper gasket in a non O-ringed motor, especially for street duty. Why? What about using copper gaskets with copper spray?
Old 01-22-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

The SCE Titans are designed to be used with engines and heads that dont have O-Rings and Receiver Grooves. The instructions that came with the gaskets say to put some silicon around the water jacket holes. Worked like a charm for us.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running the ICS gaskets. I haven't pushed the motor yet (spray) but I like them so far. Summit didn't have LS part numbers loaded for them so I had to do a bit back and forth with SCE and summit but I got the right ones eventually.
One thing to note with them is that the gasket MUST be set back from both the combustion chamber edge and bore edge at least .010-.020" It can't be in the flame front at all. I am running a 4.030 bore 408 but the chamber width on my AFR225s is 4.080 at it's widest. Talking with the tech rep at SCE they recommended a 4.155 bore gasket. The intergral o-ring is pretty trick and they sealed up fine after one heat cycle. They did drip about 1-2 drops per min until I fired it up, after that nothing.

These gaskets are one thing I won't have to have a second thought about when pushing the motor.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Would these work on a stock bore block with AFR heads? Gasket

Last edited by 99 TA; 02-13-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99 TA
Would these work on a stock bore block with AFR heads? Gasket

IIRC there was discussion about those not being .042 but more like .055-.060
Old 02-16-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Resident

I have heard nothing but praise about the sce titans. If you guys need help ordering these gaskets just give summit a call. The website is really not all that great on getting you the information you need. The information listed sometimes is very broad and isnt very specific. I know this because I work there and have probablly talked to some of you guys before.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allthrotle
I have heard nothing but praise about the sce titans. If you guys need help ordering these gaskets just give summit a call. The website is really not all that great on getting you the information you need. The information listed sometimes is very broad and isnt very specific. I know this because I work there and have probablly talked to some of you guys before.

yep... but just make sure you tell them that "LS" is at the end of the part number. The SBC and LSx parts numbering is the same from SCE, except for the LS tag on the end. Otherwise you'll end up with SBC gaskets like I did.

Quick Reply: Cometic vs. SCE Titan head gaskets?