Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 solid roller lash growth, how should the oil look on the first change...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:24 PM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default LS1 solid roller lash growth, how should the oil look on the first change...

Couple of things.... We did the first warmup on the motor and everything sounds great. The valve lash was set @ .010 cold and after it warmed up it had grew to .022 which puts it right inline with what we have heard. Couple of questions, we're going to drop the oil and wondering how clean or dirty should it be? I know the inital change will have all the assembly lube, should the oil be clean or is there a rule of thumb to make sure there is no problems with the bearings? TIA!
Phil
Old 01-23-2006, 06:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would send a sample in to Terry Dyson. If you send a sample to Blackstone and ask for a #46 Dyson analysis ($40), Terry will review the sample and tell you if you have any problems. He has been doing this for years, and as long as you tell him what you used for assembly lube he can advise you. I sent in my sample after I did the cam change to make sure I wasn't running into any cam bearing problems. Here's a link in case you want to contact Terry.

Dyson Analysis