Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to get done to the block?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to get done to the block?

I have a 97 or 98 block I think, I was told the car was a 97 corvette but the oil pan is from a camaro so/// not sure. Anyway, the machine shop I took the block to doesn;t know a lot about the engines, so they keep telling me to bore it .010 and ****, but I have heard you can't bore it that much because of the thin linings. He said to clean it up well it needs to be bored out, and he said he coud get me .010 pistons. Well for one thing I don't want to mess the block up, and i don't want this machine shop to mess it up because they don't know what they are doing. I can't find another machine shop yet, and I hea this one is great, so i need to know what to tell them to do. What should I do? I will be building the bottom end a bit, just pistons rods, and it will just be getting a cam. What should I tell them to do?
Old 02-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

This guy is one of those guys who is a badass when it comes to older motors, but doesn't do a lot with the newer motors. I searched and read that on the 97-98 models that I should just hone it to .005. Is this true? I need to know what to tell him to do so he can get started and I can order pistons and rods. I want to keep it as stock as possible. But I don't have the stock pistons and rods since a rod broke so I thought I might as well upgrade since I have the money. I need to know what sizes to buy and what to tell him to do to it. Thanks a bunch guys.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Default .005 over

Originally Posted by LSINA7
I have a 97 or 98 block I think, I was told the car was a 97 corvette but the oil pan is from a camaro so/// not sure. Anyway, the machine shop I took the block to doesn;t know a lot about the engines, so they keep telling me to bore it .010 and ****, but I have heard you can't bore it that much because of the thin linings. He said to clean it up well it needs to be bored out, and he said he coud get me .010 pistons. Well for one thing I don't want to mess the block up, and i don't want this machine shop to mess it up because they don't know what they are doing. I can't find another machine shop yet, and I hea this one is great, so i need to know what to tell them to do. What should I do? I will be building the bottom end a bit, just pistons rods, and it will just be getting a cam. What should I tell them to do?
the 97 and 98 blocks can only be bored out .005 over, dont let him go .010 over the block would be trash.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Alright thanks, but what exactly should I get him to do? Clean it up and bore it .005 over?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

I am having my 98 block taken to a 3.905 bore
Old 02-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94redz28
I am having my 98 block taken to a 3.905 bore

What pistons and rods?