Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it take special skills to build an LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does it take special skills to build an LS1?

I had some trouble with my crank and even though I got the car up and running again, I'm thinking of dropping a built motor in anyways. Too much worrying when I hit the nitrous for my tastes not to mention I can't fully spin the motor up to where I'd like.

I don't have enough money right now for a forged short block from a sponsor, but is there anything to stop me from building the motor I have now? I already have the LS2 block and and have a good crank on the way. It seems to me like all I would need would be the pistons, rings, rods, bearings, and fasteners. Just looking at Jegs real quick, the pistons, rings and rods come out to just over $1000. Add maybe $250 for the bearings and fasteners, then all that's needed is the machine shop labor. Should bring me in lower then the $3k average for a forged shortblock no (plus I don't have to worry about $500 shipping charges)?

First off, am I correct in my prices/thinking? Secondly, would any ole high-performance machine shop be able to do this for me or does the LS1 require a special skill set? Seems to me it wouldn't be anything too exotic, maybe a magnaflux, balancing, a little bit of boreing, and then the assembly.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would make sure the shop has done LSx work before. I went to a reputable shop that does excellent work but was his first LS1. He had to buy all the new fixtures and plates.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
Does it take special skills to build an LS1?
You need to be pretty good with nunchucks and possibally be pretty good with a bowstaff. j/k

Seriouslly though, shop around with a few sponsors. They can get you some good prices on your other parts, and I would deffinatlly make sure the shop you choose had had success in building LSX motors. The aluminum motors do set-up a little diffrent then iron, but a good shop should know what there doing.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The $1000 I quoted was for pistons/rings/rods. My thinking is that I already have a perfectly good block. I also have a perfectly good crank (Harlan and a lot of other FI guys were running theirs 800-1000+ HP). These are the two most expensive parts to buy, so why should I pay extra buying new ones when I already have perfectly good used ones?

Sure I could sell my stock shortblock after I purchase a new forged shortblock, but I would get waaayyy less money out of a 65K mile stock shortblock then I would save from using the components in a build.
Old 02-22-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my experience, (as a total newb mechanic and former ricer) going with a shop that isn't specialized in your setup is a total waste of time, and might end up costing you more money in the long run. For example:

Dynamic Motorsports in Dillsburg, PA (next to Kaufmann, which is equivalent to the holy land for mustang owners) quoted me $2900 for a forged block for my old 95 Ford Probe, with a lower compression for my t3/t4 setup. Timeframe was 6 weeks.

What ended up happening? 5 months later, I get a shortblock. 4 months after that, they install it in my car. (all was supposed to be done within 6 weeks mind you). 100 miles later, spun rod bearing. They covered it, but blamed it all on their machine shop.. So after all that ****, blown motor. I stuck a stocker in and boosted it low, waiting for my forged setup. Took them another 10 months for the block to be ready again. I sold everything including the car, and luckily made my money back.

I don't know that my case is an outlying extreme case either, as my friend has the same experiences with his B18 integra, and another friend with a VR-4 TT. We all just stopped messing around and bought big-boy cars, ls1 me, supra, and s2000.. and we all use specialized shops to prevent that mishap ever again (east side performance).

Just be extremely careful who you pick.. absolutely it is worth a few more bucks from a sponsor, with a warranty.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
The $1000 I quoted was for pistons/rings/rods. My thinking is that I already have a perfectly good block. I also have a perfectly good crank (Harlan and a lot of other FI guys were running theirs 800-1000+ HP). These are the two most expensive parts to buy, so why should I pay extra buying new ones when I already have perfectly good used ones?

Sure I could sell my stock shortblock after I purchase a new forged shortblock, but I would get waaayyy less money out of a 65K mile stock shortblock then I would save from using the components in a build.
Ask the sponsor who is selling the motor how much they will credit you if you return the core parts. You could very likley come out good on that deal. The block and the crank are th ebiggest "core" parts, so I imagine they'd credit you fairly well. I believe you'd come out better that way.