Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about slight tapping...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about slight tapping...

2001 Trans Am M6. Never missed shift but bought car used awhile back. Feels strong, not many noises that are unordinary for this stock block. Nothing internal, just bolt on's. I'm ordering some replacing stock pushrods as backups from a guy on this board.

Anyways, I have a very light tapping between 1,500 and 1,800 rpm's but only when I am coasting to a stop or put in neutral and coming to a stop, both with the rpm's on the way down. Tapping sounds like its up top, very light hardly audible tapping.

I have all routine maintenance done, etc. Wondering if anybody who has ever had this problem/noise checked pushrods to find any bent. I would be almost suprised to find anything wrong but want to check to be safe.

I'm a little weary about pulling the covers myself as I have never done this but reading how to seems pretty simple. Any recommendations or helpful tips for a new guy going internal to check things out? I've searched and searched but haven't found any luck finding someone who has had such a slight tap to find this problem.

Besides the tap, I have a slight stumble at idle/or what feels like a miss. New plugs and wires, gapped and all wires on secure (check probably over 10 times), new vette o2's, new fuel filter, seafoamed a few times in the past couple years, no vaccum leaks, clean maf, clean air filter.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you think it is valvetrain problem, unhook the coils, pop the covers, remove the plugs, and turn the crank slowly with a wrench. Get your face as close to the rockers as possible while someone turns it over, if you've got a broken spring, bent pushrod, or otherwise jacked up geometry, you'll see it.
Don't worry about taking it apart just remember houw you did it and put it back together the same way, Chiltons and hanes guides lay it out step by step for you and that's what I use so that I don't forget to put something back the way it was. Ive had my valve covers off countless times and I only change the gasket if it looks really bad, the factory ones went through quite a lot, the ones I have now I the only one I've ever bought for this car.