Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really Big Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really Big Problem

Several months ago I got real up close and personal with a ditch. Now that its back from the body shop and I drive it real hard like at the drag strip, when I come back and shut off my car with out letting it sit and cool down radiator fluid will start to bubble out of the over flow tank. I have changed the radiator cap and the thermostat but it is still doing the same thing. I've asked every body I know what they think the problem is, but nobody has a clue. Some one please tell me if you think you know what the problem is.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's strange... Seeping head gasket perhaps? TTT for ya pal... good luck...
Old 03-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Teching In

If my head gasket was leaking how big of a problem is it and how do I fix it.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

its a big problem the head could overheat and warp. Remove the coil packs, valve cover, take off the head and replace the gasket. Be sure that it is a head gasket dont just go ripping stuff off.
Also check and make sure that it is the correct coolant- should be dex-cool orange not green. Also check and make sure that there is no air in the engine.
Last thing if you could update your sig so we know what you have done to your vehicle
Old 03-31-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think he meant check for coolant in your oil also. Do a pressure test on the coolant system to find out if you have a head gasket leak.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Go to a radiator shop and they will usually do a sniffer test on your coolant for free. Basically, they have a turkey baster looking thing with yellow fluid in it. They squeeze the bulb on top to suck air from your radiator through the fluid. If hydrocarbons are present in your cooling system, they will turn the yellow fluid green/blue. This will indicate a that exhaust gasses are entering your cooling system somehow (head gasket, hole in water jacket, etc.) A pressure test on the cooling system won't always show leakage...especially if you have a small head gasket leak that only presents itself when the engine is warm. However, if you have access to a pressure tester it wouldn't hurt to try it out.

When I blew the headgasket on my supercharged honda it was only a small leak. It was undetectable when doing a pressure test on the cooling system hot or cold. As soon as the car was up to operating temperature and I started boosting, the head gaket would start leaking from the increased cylinder pressures. My overflow tank would be overflowing and my temp gauge was pegged. After my car cooled down, everything was fine until it warmed up and I started boosting again.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok this may sound stupid....but i bet this will fix it. there is 2 small hoses that come off the radiator neck. one goes to the overflow...one goes to your TB. swap those 2 hoses at the radiator neck.

Friend had that SAME EXACT problem. When it was reinstalled...they got crossed. You wouldnt think .5" would make that much diff.

try it and see.