Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated.. I think a ring is gone. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Frustrated.. I think a ring is gone. What to do?

Please excuse me if I don't make much sense here. I'm running on a very little amount of sleep.

My car was showing signs of what I thought was a blown headgasket. I hired someone to replace it and it should be done later today. However, I believe that I wasted my money because the problem might be something far more involved...

Let's pretend that one of my rings is shot. How much trouble would I have to go through to forge-ify parts of my motor? I'm just talking rods, pistons, rings, and whatever other small things need to be forged. Not the crank.

Money is at an absolute minimum, as I don't have a job and don't have an extra hour in my week to get one.

What would a shop TYPICALLY charge to pull a motor and replace rods/rings/pistons? Additionally, what should I expect to pay for a setup like that (in parts)? I've been looking around at sponsors and whatnot, but I can't really find any solid pricing for a forged kit without the crank.

Any help would be much appreciated. I really hope I don't have to do this
Old 04-02-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Usually for what your wanting you need to call or e-mail sponsers. Thats why its hard to find a generic pricing for the parts. There's a group of different ways/manufactures to make up your combo. Just start calling people and tell them what your trying to do.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Max, wait till the cars back, worst case thinking only works when the cars puking oil, smoking everywhere, dripping gas, and your girlfriends hanging out with skinnies
Old 04-02-2006, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Max, wait till the cars back, worst case thinking only works when the cars puking oil, smoking everywhere, dripping gas, and your girlfriends hanging out with skinnies
I'm having the guy (Jeremy aka Suicycle from Mofbody) do a leak down test for me to verify that there is indeed a problem besides the headgasket.

And if there is indeed a problem, we will need to keep the word "forged" on the down low