Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rust on the cylinder walls

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rust on the cylinder walls

Pulled the heads off my car about a month ago and tried to clean all the fuild from everything. Apparently It wasnt good enough because I checked the engine the other day and there was surface rust on the cylinder walls and some on the top of the piston. Looked like there was some on the rings as well..

Is this a huge problem or will it just clean itself up when I start the engine.. At this point in still waiting on my heads to come in..

thanks.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you get a picture? The engine will still run, but any damage depends on how severe the rusting is. I always coat my cylinders with some motor oil, or atleast WD40. Id clean off what you can with a rag and some wd40. If theres no roughness or pitting (inspect very closely) I doubt your engine will even notice.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use a marine storage spray, typically Mercury Marine since it is made to coat cylinder walls over long storage. I just did mine the other night because I am near the ocean and we have salty wet air quite a bit. I spray it in (heads are currently off the car) and then wipe it around with a clean rag. Then I turn the motor 1/4 turn and do it again. Once I have gone around twice everything including the rings is nicely coated. I would do the same in your case, don't use anything abrasive but rather get a rag and coat the cylinders good especially prior to turning it over. I wouldn't wait either.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:38 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didnt know that hyperuetectic pistons could rust? Isnt that just cast aluminum and silicon?
Old 04-05-2006, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I didnt know that hyperuetectic pistons could rust? Isnt that just cast aluminum and silicon?
The sleeves are iron and the rings contain some iron in them as well. Pistons themselves wont rust.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It definetly doesnt look pitted but i will get some pictures this weekend. Im back at college right now. thanks for the help...
Old 04-05-2006, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year I had a new Forged block installed into my 2002 TA...my mechanic suggested that over winter storage that we coat the cyl walls and all (like descried above), to prevent rusting.

Being I spent the cash, time and pain getting the new setup last year, I figured it would be a good idea. It was def a PIA coating everything end of last summer, and just last night, we fired it up for the 1st time this year, ran it to get the oil burned out, then swapped out the plugs.

3 hours and a little blood on our hands, the job was done.

So for what its worth, might want to go the extra mile for future winter storages.

Quick Reply: rust on the cylinder walls