Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Be Worried?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Be Worried?!!!

I recently had the g5x-3 cam installed in my 2000 camaro. well it was unsuccessful to say the least. the cam moved causing friction with the retainer and timing chain gear. the metal shavings in turn fell into the oil pan. Where would they travel next? What potential problems could this create given the harmed cam bearings and the neccessary parts are replaced. No metal shavings were found above the windage tray and the car only ran for fifteen minutes then the metal on metal noise was heard and it was immediately shut off. How can I clean out the oil passages after the car is ready to be fired up? I would appreciate any input as this is my baby like many others and I dont want it to be screwed twice. thanks for everything

BTW the cam movement was due to grinding it wrong. for the future i will be checking the specs with my local machine shop and highly recommend it
Old 07-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

anyone have any thoughts or ideas...
Old 07-12-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure how to be 100% sure other than a total taredown. It's good that you didn't find anything in the tray or oil pan. I would just run the car with the new cam and change the oil almost right away after a couple of startups.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

yeah actually there was shavings in the oil pan and small chunks by thats as far as they made it. none were found on top of the tray. would you say I should change it almost immediately after I start it up?