Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with crossover tube questionese

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with crossover tube question

I'll try to make this as short as I can. I recently did a heads cam swap, and while we were putting the front bolts back in for the crossover tube, the left one (facing the motor) broke. We didn't notice this until after the car had been running awhile and it started leaking through where the bolt is. It snapped off when we tried to remove it. So, we drilled it out (after an easy out broke inside of it too-not a good day) and filled the hole with JB weld. Then we tapped it and put the bolt back in, unfortunately it is still leaking.

So my questions are:

1.) Is the JB weld strong enough to hold the threads and bolt for this?

2.) I was told there are small gaskets that go on the crossover tube, but have never noticed them before, and don't seem them now. Do I need these?

3.) Is there anything else I can or need to do in order for this to work?

Trying to get this taken care of so I can see results for the MS4 & LS6 stg 1 heads so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Fad2blk_98; 08-11-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a small oval shaped metal plate with an o-ring built into it that goes underneath both crossover fittings. If you don't have this piece it will leak.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The gasket is your problem. I recently finished installing my heads and forgot to put the gasket back on. I had a very slow but steady leak from the plug. I put the gasket back on and problem solved.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys. We found out that the JB weld did NOT work. The threads stripped out easily. I did actually look at my stock heads and seen the gasket still on there that I hadn't ever noticed before. I got some new gaskets ready though. A buddy of mine drilled it back out since the JB weld sucked, retapped it, and heli coiled it which seems to be holding good. We'll know soon enough if it did the job.

Thanks again for the help!!