Sponsored by:

What could cause this leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation What could cause this leak?

What could cause this leak?

Last night while working on the project car we ran into an issue the 3rd or 4th time we tried slipping the LS1/T56 in. We got a pretty steep angle on the package this time as we started dropping everything in, when all of the sudden oil starts rushing out onto the floor of my garage. It's coming out from the bottom of the bellhousing where it meets the block...hopefully not getting all over my clutch.

Would the angle alone cause the leak? Or does this sound like a bad seal? Or???
Old 08-17-2006, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

COuld be a bad rear main seal, or from the rear cover, why not take off the tranny and bellhousing and look?
Old 08-17-2006, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RiceKilla
COuld be a bad rear main seal, or from the rear cover, why not take off the tranny and bellhousing and look?
Tough to do from work :-)

Problem occurred after midnight last night and was looking for some tips/ideas before I go home.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

Are you sure it was oil? i know that the transmission will leak out fluid with no driveshaft installed and tipping it to a steep angle. It seems like its a pretty big leak? or is it just some drops?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question, buy why would you have oil in the engine prior to installation..? wasn't it drained it before removing it and/or working on the engine or being shipped ? You can't (or should not) ship an engine with fluids in it. And also, can we assume that it was engine oil and not trans fluid ?

Were you trying to shortcut the installation time by putting oil into the engine before, like plug and drive ?

Where any of the sensor removed and left open to the internal engine passages ? Like the Oil pressure sensor, cam sensor, crank sensor, etc.. Did you check the rear engine plate (for the crank seal, cam and oil valley)?
Old 08-17-2006, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Definitely oil...we were losing tranny fluid the entire time out of the tail of the transmission in the previous install attempts. This was motor oil and I probably lost a quart or two before we got everything level. It was flowing out freely....not dripping.

This is a local motor/trans from my friend....pull from his.....install in mine, that is why the fluids are still in there.

Crank, cam, temp sensors all installed. We had pretty good angle on the motor/trans a few times, then all of the sudden we ran into this issue. No energy to hit the garage tonight, will take another look this weekend.