Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on forged internals

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 04:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on forged internals

I am going to be building a forged LS1 in the future. This is for my Ls1 rx-7, currently has a stock 2002 ls1.

Here's what I plan to do with the car as far as racing and power levels.

Occassional road racing, maybe 2-3 times a year, HPDE 20 minute sessions.
Maybe a drag race after the buildup just to see how much she traps, and some auto-x;ing but not much. The car will be my daily driver.

For power levels, I just want to do heads and cam, 410whp-450whp. Already have intake, exhaust, headers. I am not a nitrous guy so this car won't be sprayed nor turbo, I am a road race guy so that power is useless. Heck even the power it has now is somewhat crazy, but I am still new to the power. I won't be running a high lift cam so no need for flycutting.

Now the decision, I wonder if I should spend the money and go for forged pistons with H beam rods, OR just do forged pistons(flat tops) with shot peened OEM connecting rods, stock crank on both applications. I will definitely be doing Katech rod bolts, ARP head bolts, Clevite main bearings, etc..

Now just wondering if anyone has any input on which route seeing as this car will not be demanding nor will it be in any competitive racing, or see any high horsepower levels.

Thanks, your input is much appreciated.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:16 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How high are you wanting to spin the motor?
Old 09-17-2006, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
How high are you wanting to spin the motor?
Most likely not much more than stock, or whatever is around the cam's power band. I have EFI live so I can set my shift light and rev limiter to my liking, but I am sure it won't be much higher than stock, if anything maybe 200 rpms later.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:50 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok. It almost seems that you are a candidate for a stock motor then. I understand your need for added insurance with the forged parts, but no nitrous or forced induction? On a forged setup you could cam it to have the limiter set at 7k and shift it at 6900 for more top end power. Just seems like you would be leaving *something* on the table with a forged setup at stock settings with heads/cam. Don't get me wrong though I would forge the motor too. I would just up the level with it too. But that is just me and my opinion speaking. I am just curious with your reasoning.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Well it would also depend on the powerband, if it is making power until 7k, then I'll shift at 7k.

For a cam I was looking into a 224 or 228r cam, so it would depend on their powerbands.

Now, what I am wondering is if I would benefit more from running just H-beam rods with stock pistons instead of forged pistons and shot peened OEM rods.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

To me it'd make no sense to just upgrade the rods. If you're going to do one or the other, upgrade the pistons and leave stock rods. Ideally, do both if you can afford it, but if you only want to do one or the other, do the pistons.