Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

did 00: come with fully encapsulated lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did 00: come with fully encapsulated lifters?

i took out my lifters and was expecting to see the soposedly weaker non encapsulated version and they look exactly the same as the ones i just bought from comp cams. did any 00's have these style factory or can i assume this isnt the first time the lifers have been out/changed. the whole reason i took off my heads was to upgrade these, i was just alil flusterd when i already had the "good kind". makes the cam swap alot easier though no bs to deal with about keeping the lifters up.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was the earlier models that had the fully encapsulated lifters. The 01 and 02 cars had the non-encapsulated type.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2000 WS6 came with the inclosed lifters, and was the early model ,car was built in 11/23/99 .
Old 09-19-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 had the open ones.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

odd.... as my book" how to build high performance ls1/ls6 v8's" says the later fully encasulated versions are the more desirable lifters to run due to the early version not being able to wiststand high hp abuse wonder if its still the fully encapsulated version thats more desirable in stock lifters anyway..... oh well i got good replacements going in , was just curious if my motot was apart previously, but doesnt seem so- as everything looks like a factory job, and nothing i found is aftermarket or an upgrade, untill now that is. by the speed this project seems to be going i just hope im done by the weekend, i thought i was going to be done last weekend but waiting for parts or not having all the tools before hand/ plus trying to fab up stuff in the middle of the install really takes alot of extra time.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 00454sscamaro
odd.... as my book" how to build high performance ls1/ls6 v8's" says the later fully encasulated versions are the more desirable lifters to run due to the early version not being able to wiststand high hp abuse wonder if its still the fully encapsulated version thats more desirable in stock lifters anyway..... oh well i got good replacements going in , was just curious if my motot was apart previously, but doesnt seem so- as everything looks like a factory job, and nothing i found is aftermarket or an upgrade, untill now that is. by the speed this project seems to be going i just hope im done by the weekend, i thought i was going to be done last weekend but waiting for parts or not having all the tools before hand/ plus trying to fab up stuff in the middle of the install really takes alot of extra time.

I have Handzel's as well as Endres' Books, and both have bits of incorrect information here and there. I pulled non-encapsulated lifters out of my 02, as well as many other 01+ motors. All the 2000 and earlier motors had the stronger encapsulated lifters, atleast in my experience.