Sponsored by:

New LS1 crate motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default New LS1 crate motor

Hey guys,

I just picked up a new LS1 crate motor for my IROC. Here's the deal though....its a 1999 vintage motor....it had been sitting sealed up since new in a guys garage. He never ended up using it. It's never been fired up and still has the factory oil in it. Should I need to take any special precautions when firing up this motor for the first time? Should I at least change the oil or do you think it will be safe?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-09-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello James!!

I would definately change the oil first and then fire her up, unless you know it was sitting in a cold damp location all this time. Then maybe you could shoot some oil in the cylinders and rotate the engine over by hand to lube the cylinder walls first.

Greg
Old 10-09-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A simple thing you can do on any engine that has been sitting for a while: yank all of the plugs, disable the fuel supply, and crank the engine over until you get oil pressure. While not as good as prelubing an old small block with an oil pump drive tool, this at least gets oil flowing around before the loads of compression are on the crank & rods.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Greg!

Yeah, I'll probably change the oil and filter for peace of mind. Anybody know what type of oil GM uses? Also, think I should add some of their EOS (Engine Oil Supplement)? Is it neccesary?

Thanks

Last edited by LS1-IROC; 10-10-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i understand engines are assembled with lube on things like the bearings and journals. the real concern would be is if that stuff is still good after sitting so long. i am willing to bet a machine shop would take a look at it fairly cheap and even possibly relube it. kinda seems worth the little extra money to me.

doing the the stuff about turning it over till you get preasure is smart on any new motor even if its just put togather.