Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild LS1 or buy an LS2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuild LS1 or buy an LS2?

I have a spun bearing and was planning on adding a set of forged pistons and connecting rods to the LS1 while Im pulling it apart. But just yesturday a friend of mine offered me a brand new LS2 block for a good price. I would definately go with a 4.000'' stroke crank and make it a 402 cu LS2. Obviously getting the LS2 is going to cost me a bit more to build, but is the expence worth it? I would keep my TRex cam and TSP LS6 stg 1 heads on on the LS2 if I went that direction. What would you guys do?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

this is a good question i have been wondering about this myself meaning say i buy a set of heads that are decent flowing with good ability to be ported, should you rebulid the ls1 or buy the 6.0L iron block? sorry to hijack your question!
Old 10-10-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

LS2 blocks can be bought for close to $1k now. I'm assuming you can get one for significantly less. If not, and if you're really cash strapped to where a few hundred makes a big difference, rebuild your motor. If you do this, get either the Terminator heads from TSP or AFR 205's. You can't do any better than these for a good all around street/strip motor. A heads/cam LS1 with Terminator heads and a Magic Stick 3 cam put down 490rwhp with very flat torque curve just recently...

That said, if you go with a 402, you'll need big flowing heads to get an improvement in more then just low end and midrange. AFR 225's would be the ideal choice for good port velocity, but some of the ported LS6 heads from different sponsors continue to put out great numbers on the track and on a dyno.

Price out different combos and weigh your options. What's best for you may not be the status quo on this board.

Jason
Old 10-11-2006, 03:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You can run a 402 with cam/heads that you have. You would be leaving some power on the table but it would be a nice combo.
Main thing to think about is you have to get harness extentions for the cam sensor and the 2 side knock sensors. Front cover also necessary and a LS6 PCV setup would'nt hurt either.

Quick Reply: Rebuild LS1 or buy an LS2?