Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD! problem during cam install. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default BAD! problem during cam install. HELP!!

This LS1 is pissing me off. I was using the pen magnets to hold the lifters and when i removed one of the magnets part of the magnet is still on the lifter. Is there any way to get to the top of the lifters so I can get that damn think out?
Old 10-11-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pulling the head is the only way to get the lifters out...
Old 10-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Restricted User

^^yup...unless you're a magician i dont how else you would get it outta there...hey look on the bright side at least you noticed...worst case would be you do some craziness and put everything back together again and started her up Niiiiiiiiiiice lol
Old 10-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Launching!

the magnet is stuck to the lifter right try and find a stonger magnet.if the stonger magnet pushes away from the lifter flip it around it should grab the weeker one cause i think two opposites attract. I really dont know if this will work but its worth a try and good luck
Old 10-11-2006, 01:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahh, thats not good! To get to the lifter you must pull the head. Try this though, mix some JB weld and attach it to the pen magnet or to another (a VERY VERY small amount so it doesn't overflow onto the lifter) spray some brake cleaner, again a small amount down to the lifter and try to use a long q-tip or something to clean the magnet inside your motor. Press your JB welded pen into the hole and stick it to the magnet. Try to secure it in its posistion and wait a day for it to cure. With some luck you should be able to pull the magnet out without pulling the head, BUT very carefully check the magnet when you get it out to make sure no JB weld spilled over onto the lifer, that would be bad. If it looks clean around the edges your probably good to go. Obviously sticking JB weld into a motor isn't ideal, but it might save you pulling the head if you do it right, I mean, what do you have to lose. I'm worried if you put another magnet down there to get the stuck one, you may lose that aswell.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for set of Stage II heads since the OEMs have to come off. Why didn't you use the rod or russian roulette method?
Old 10-11-2006, 03:53 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate hearing this happen. Those pen magnets are pieces of ****. Granted I have done a swap with them in the past just for experience sake. The problem is that the head of the thing is "glued" onto the telescoping portion. Some of them can virtually "unstick" when down in a warm engine for any amount of time.

EDIT: Now that I thik about it, they are just shitty. Sorry that happened to you man.