Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rebuilding motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuilding motor?

hey everybody here is my situation. I bought a 01 trans am M6 about a month ago with 30k miles and 2 days after buying it the motor ate a lifter and I had to have a new motor installed (02 camaro z28 motor, 16k miles). Well i have managed to purchase my old engine back and it needs a new cam, the crank to be turned, a new lifter, and some seals (i think). This is my first engine build I have tried but anyway I have come up with a plan and am wondering if this is even a smart idea or maybe I am just being extremely stupid (high probability of that).

I am thinking about porting and polishing the stock heads (later upgrading to CNC ported heads), installing a Trex, ARP rod bolts, hardened pushrods, a forged higher compression rotating assembly, and tuning it. Once this is all installed in my old block I will rent a lift and switch the motors and sell my 16k mile motor to help make up some of the difference. I would be doing most of the work by myself and with a few of my friends and none of us know what we are doing so we will have to learn as we go. I think maybe it would be a little too much work but I have time on my side. Also I think this will be too expensive with the forged rotating assembly but my end goal is to be running high 9's with nitrous and it still be a DD. So if this engine will not cut it maybe you guys could suggest something that will at least get Over the next 2 years I plan on also adding a new rear end w/ 4.10 (4.11) gears (not sure if I will be doing a 9" or a 12 bolt), upgrading the transmission to viper spec, and redoing the suspension for road racing. I want a car that will perform well at both drag racing and road racing/autocross.

The other day I got another idea though and I am thinking I like this one a lot better. I think I would rather just fix my old motor, sell it and install nitto 555r's, front and rear sway bars, and subframe connectors, electric cutout, and and tuning it. I would then install a 9" with 4.10 gears after next summer. Do you think those mods would put me in the low 12's or high 11's. After I do suspension mods I would like to do koni shocks, electric water pumps, aluminum flywheel, heads and cams. Which way do you think would be better.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by da boss
I would be doing most of the work by myself and with a few of my friends and none of us know what we are doing so we will have to learn as we go.
Originally Posted by da boss
but my end goal is to be running high 9's with nitrous and it still be a DD.
I would'nt recommend going any further, until you read and then read some more.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Teching In

yah I thought high 9"s might be a little too high.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read JRPs sticky. Do what he says and what I didn't do. Plan it and purchase everything once. You wont be here 3 years later still working on it!