Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor teardown

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor teardown

Today I went over to my motor guys shop to check out the teardown of my motor and found that I have a bent crank, the #7 piston ring has wear marks on the sides, the #7 piston is cracked, #7 piston's oil ring is bad, and the #7 wrist pin was bad. As of right now the rest of the motor, heads/cam, boltons are in good shape. The bent crank would explain the vibration that I have been trying to figure out for sometime and have been exhausting alot of ideas and my money, much like the threads on this site.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ations+highway

Also there was evidence of some material in the #7 chamber that looked like some of the gasket or sealer that NEW ERA had told me that came from my new LS6 intake and that they had to remove the head to find all the pieces, upon startup after they installed the cam and intake they noticed a tick or knock in the heads. They pulled the heads and notice the intake material and removed what they noticed and cleaned everything up and the car ran fine outside the highway vibration that lead to them unable to finish the tune.

The car ran fine till about three months ago when it started to knock really bad and consume oil and a little coolant. I pulled the motor to see what happened but due to my traveling work schedule wasn't able get on top of the motor teardown.

The dude that tore down my motor was able to tell what was wrong just by listening to the car idle and upon teardown validated what he believed. Hopefully this will help a couple guys out around here with some vibration issues that has stumped alot of people on this site and locally. I know the Mike from New Era will be shocked as to what happened as he saw this vibration problem and all the work I put into finding the problem.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:54 AM
Staging Lane

Just curious, did the problem start right after the head and cam install ?

Ryan
Old 10-29-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

No actually after the first trip to the dragstrip I noticed a slight vibration and then after the cam was installed it went down hill fast from there.