Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help here!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help here!

Okay this is weird and the car just started doing this today. When I got home from work today after cruising about 30 miles down the highway at about 90mph I pulled into my driveway. Well I noticed that my car was idling very high around 1.8k all the time. After letting it sit for about 3 minutes it came down to about 800 rpms. The only problem is it would keep bouncing from 800 - 1400 and wouldn't stay at a constant idle. I then reved it to like 2K and it took forever for the RPMS to come back down. I would rev it to 2K and then it would take about 5 seconds to come down to normal RPM's and then it would continue to bounce. This almost sounds like a vacuum issue but I don't see anything loose. So I turned the car off for about 30 seconds and fired it back up. As soon as it started it reved to 2K and then took the normal 5-6 seconds to come back down. WTF is up with this my car will do this same thing if I reset the ECM so I am beginning to wonder if it is an ECM problem but this is the first time it has done it in a long time. Any idea's?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Damn! Nobody has any thoughts on this at all. Comeon techies I know that everybody likes a challenge every now and then and here is one for you.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

did you check to see if the hose conecting the air lid to the mas to the tb isnt cracked? Have you check your plug wires to make sure none fell off?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

I have checked all that stuff yeah. I even unplugged each of the sensor's up front on the throttle body and the IAT sensor with the car running and while it take make the idle increase it was still trying to bounce around. Hell it is getting so bad that if i am cruising 60 mph down the hwy in 5th gear I don't even have to use the gas it will pull itself and stay at the same speed. Does anyone know what the sensor is on top of the throttle body I think it is the idle control sensor. Anyone think this may have gone bad and can I take it out and clean it?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:40 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by *98Formula*
at about 90mph I pulled into my driveway.
Found your problem....
Old 11-04-2006, 09:43 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

But seriously. I think that you might want to make sure that your intake is not cracked or not seated properly. It could also be a tuning issue. I can't decipher whether you are tuned or not by looking at your signature, but I would assume no, since you are resetting the computer. You aren't cammed are you? Sounds like cam surge actually.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

No I'm not cammed at all and I do not have any tune done. I thought about my intake being cracked but I just painted it a month ago and cleaned it out fine and everything look fine on it. I put new gaskets on it and everything when I put it back on and everything was fine up until last week. I hit the rev limiter by mistake but I know that couldn't crack the intake. The strange thing is that it will not do this until it gets hot and even then I normally have to make a WOT run before it will do it. And once it starts doing this say I turn the car off for about 10 minutes and then start it back up. It will fire up and hit 2k RPM's and then slowly come back down and start doing the idling **** again. I am stumped at this point, could it be an intake crack wouldn't you normally hear it or something. I guess my best bet is to spray some carb cleaner on top of my shiny painted intake and see if it does anything. Does this sound like a good idea?
Old 11-04-2006, 10:46 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Don't put carb cleaner on paint!!!!!!

You might have a bent pushrod or something. I didnt know that you tagged the rev limiter like that. You might want to pull the valve covers and inspect everything to see if it is all kosher.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

I pulled apart my throttle body last night and took the Idle control off and the TPS sensor. The sensor was in bad shape it had a heavy residue of black **** on it. I cleaned it off and put it back in and everyone make a mental note of this. Do no push that plunged down. I did push it down a little and when I fired the car up she hit 3k right away and wouldn't come down. I had to mash my brakes and put it in first and let on the clutch to bring the RPM's down and then killed it. Pulled that plunger back out and it seems fine now. Will test it later to see if it is fixed.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:39 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Sounds like you have a gremlin under the hood.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Regular

Well the problem is still there. I am really starting to think it is the sensor on top of the throttle body. I pulled the Idle control off and it was spotless clean and I didn't see anything wrong with it. Anyone know if that is the IAC sensor or something. I know my pushrods can't be bent because if they where it would be worse when it was cold but she fires up nices and smooth when cold. I think I do have a gremlin under the hood last one that got up in there costed my 800 bucks. If I ever find that little **** it's on cause im going to be kicking some little 14 inch ***.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:15 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Originally Posted by *98Formula*
If I ever find that little **** it's on cause im going to be kicking some little 14 inch ***.
That is assuming they are not messing with your water pump!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

If that little bastard screws with my WP there will be more than *** kicking going on thats for damned sure. I hope that little **** gets its horn caught in driveshaft. I bash that little turd all over the place. Well still trying to find out if anyone around me has a throttle body I can burrow to see if it will do the same thing. I am quite certain that is what it is. Also I remember it doing this last year when it got cold. I guess my car doesn't like the cold or something. Whenever it gets summer it doesn't do it. MAF maybe?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:25 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I said water pump because when Gizmo in the movie gets wet he turns into a huge beast!
Possibly a MAF...and I thought that they were indestructable!
Old 11-06-2006, 01:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess would be the IAC valve(the piece w/ the plunger). You can push the plunger in and it should come back out on its own when the car is started. Its one of the tables in the PCM(IAC park position). You would really need a scan tool and IAC tester to properly identify the problem, but if you can get your hands on a throttle body to test w/ I'm sure that will fix it.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

I did that. I pushed the plunger down and when I fired my car up the SOB reved to like 3K and sat there the rpm's wouldn't drop. Thats kinda what im thinking to is that it is the IAC valve cause when I got the car shut off I had to take the IAC back off and then pull the plunger out with pliers and it was hard as hell to pull out. After I pulled it all the way out it was fine. So you say it should have pushed the plunger all the way back out when I started the car up huh? Interesting.