Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why valve reliefs are so commond on built 347's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why valve reliefs are so commond on built 347's?

All,

I'm looking to replace my LS1 short block due to the fact that my lifters/cam munched on eachother. My question is, why is it that the majority of the built 347 blocks out there have some sort of valve reliefs, i.e. -2cc, -4cc etc? I'm assuming this is due to folks want to add power adders, is this a correct assumption? Any input is appreciated as I'd rather go to the stock flat tops instead of wondering about the affect of this on my H/C daily driver.

TIA,
Old 12-02-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

The only reason for a valve relief is so when running a big cam, you wont have issues withthe valves hitting the pistons.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
The only reason for a valve relief is so when running a big cam, you wont have issues withthe valves hitting the pistons.
I understand that but it just surprises me that the plain ole flat tops aren't as commonly available (in built blocks) as I would of expected.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PewterC5-2000
I understand that but it just surprises me that the plain ole flat tops aren't as commonly available (in built blocks) as I would of expected.
Most people that are rebuilding an engine are going to be getting the most out of it and will need the valve reliefs... I think I would get valve reliefs "just in case" simply because IF I wanted them later in the future, it would be such a bitch to do it then rather than when the engine is built to begin with. I see what you are saying though...when/if I get a new engine, I probably still wouldn't run a big enough cam to warrant the reliefs. I'm still having fun on my stock cam actually...
Old 12-02-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

the reliefs won't drop compression much.for each cc it is only around a tenth of a point.you could either run a set of thinner gaskets or shave your heads some to gain back your compression.