Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Degreeing MS3 cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Degreeing MS3 cam

I'm currently putting my LS1 back together and was wondering if and how my MS3 cam should be degreed. I just put it in with the "dots" matched and started thinking if I should have degreed it. I know I'll have to buy the wheel and some other stuff, but might need a few pointers. Thanks for your help, can't wait to hear her run again.

Chris
Old 01-07-2007, 02:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

i just put mine in last night,it did not have a cam card so i put some clay in the # 1 piston,bolted on the head gasket with 4 bolts and only torqued it down to like 20 lbs.put in 2 rockers and push rods, cranked it over once and pulled it apart.it had 80 on the intake and 90 on the exhaust with 5.3prc heads for clearance.I dont think degreeing it in is a bad idea,but you can not really move it any with its tight clearances,really depends if your doing heads or not .If you have a cam card,could you post it.i have had no luck trying to get a copy from the sponsor that i ordered my cam from.I would like to have it for reference.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

No, didn't get a cam card either. Staying with stock heads for now. Didn't know if there was much adjustment with the timing chain either, seems like you'd have to jump a link or something. I'm really new to this. Just want to make sure car will still run on pre-existing tune from TSP, incase they degreed it different or something when they installed it a couple years ago. Yea, PV clearance shouldn't be too bad. My dad's Firehawk also has the MS3 and ported 5.3 heads w/o problems. We put his LS1 together and did not degree the cam. But my car's always been faster, just wondering if that might have been why. don't want to end up with a *turd. Thanks.

Chris
Old 01-07-2007, 08:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHRIZ28
No, didn't get a cam card either. Staying with stock heads for now. Didn't know if there was much adjustment with the timing chain either, seems like you'd have to jump a link or something. I'm really new to this. Just want to make sure car will still run on pre-existing tune from TSP, incase they degreed it different or something when they installed it a couple years ago. Yea, PV clearance shouldn't be too bad. My dad's Firehawk also has the MS3 and ported 5.3 heads w/o problems. We put his LS1 together and did not degree the cam. But my car's always been faster, just wondering if that might have been why. don't want to end up with a *turd. Thanks.

Chris
You make the adjustment with either an offset key on the crank or an adjustible chain set. Jumping a gear tooth would be a large mistake.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Oh, I'm new to this. I definatly wouldn't have done it w/o being sure. So it's safe to say, TSP probably installed it normally like I did. Thanks for all the help, I sure have learned alot through this build and reading countless threads in the internal engine forum....God I love LS1Tech.com...

Chris

Quick Reply: Degreeing MS3 cam