Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever broke a stock rod or crank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:17 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone ever broke a stock rod or crank?

I've been planning on building a 383 since my #5 piston broke. I had never thought to just replace the pistons and keep using the stock rods and crank. Hell, I didn't even know they made aftermarket forged pistons that would fit the stock rods. So I was just wondering around on the SDPC website last night and I noticed that they have some forged pistons that will fit the stock rods. These pistons would give me the SCR I am looking for with 72cc heads and save me about 2 grand over buying a forged crank, and rods. Best part, that kit includes the rings, and main & rod bearings too! I'm not trying to build a race car, and I'll probably only be running 8# of boost with the P-1SC. So that brings me back to my question, would the stock rods and crank hold up to say 550 rwhp???
Old 01-14-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been playing with the idea of it also. My car is strictly N/A, and right now i have 2 sets of stock rods. My only fear is that I have plans to open track the car so it will see a lot of RPM's. I might give the Scat I-beams a try tho that they have in their catalog.

As for the crank, no one has broken one to date.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

ECS supercharges told me they have seen the stock rod bend at over 550-600rwhp on several motors they have torn down...I kept the stock crank(ist good for 900rwhp) and went with forged rods and pistons...$400 for forged rods why would you not when you have all the time and $$$ in a blower car...
Old 01-14-2007, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Since you'd be rebuilding the motor, a good balance job, main studs, and good rod bolts would go a ways to strengthen the bottom end. The stock LS1 rods are better than anything ever offered in a SBC and are a good piece. If you go with a small cam and keep the revs below 6500, you'll probably be fine with a conservative tune.

Guys with GTP's and Grand Nationals have made stupid power with the stock crank and rods, and those 3.8's don't have anything high dollar in the bottom end. I have an issue of GM High Tech with a GN running 8's on a stock shortblock w/ forged pistons and holding together nicely.

Jason
Old 01-14-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never heard of a stock LS1 crank breaking, but here is a pic of a buddies motor.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock crank will have no problem holding that power. The stock rods, however, will be right at the threshhold.

Might I suggest atleast considering some cheap scat or eagle I beam rods that are only a couple bills. Or even search ebay for a mahle piston, ring and rod combo.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:49 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I think I'm going to stick with my original plan and just follow thru with the 383. Its already torn apart, may as well replace everything with upgrades...

98_1LE- those are some crazy pictures! What setup did your buddy have that caused all that carnage!!??!?