Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 oil pan questions, drag racing... launch = less oil press..

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 oil pan questions, drag racing... launch = less oil press..

well the last few times i was running my car i noticed the oil press falling back to about 40 psi under HARD acceleration in 1st & 2nd gear. 3rd and up it was normal. it seems that the G-forces are pulling the oil away from the pickup or oil pump. i can mildly run through 1-2nd and the oil press does fine. it only does it ***** to the wall, head thrown back in the seat.

has anyone else notice this? i have not noticed any problems with it or effecting anything. i just really don't like it. has anyone put baffles in the stock pan?

the motor is out of the car now so its no prob. if there is a fix for this.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:38 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SSwanner
well the last few times i was running my car i noticed the oil press falling back to about 40 psi under HARD acceleration in 1st & 2nd gear. 3rd and up it was normal. it seems that the G-forces are pulling the oil away from the pickup or oil pump. i can mildly run through 1-2nd and the oil press does fine. it only does it ***** to the wall, head thrown back in the seat.

has anyone else notice this? i have not noticed any problems with it or effecting anything. i just really don't like it. has anyone put baffles in the stock pan?

the motor is out of the car now so its no prob. if there is a fix for this.

i would put a better oil pump in it for starters. melling #10296. canton makes a great oil pan, but costly.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

i forgot to say that: there is not a problem with the oil pump. its a ported ls6 pump (i forgot where i got it). it was full of oil, 5.75qts. of redline 10w40.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:11 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, the owner's manual in my goat says to run an extra quart of oil when racing. Then take it out when done. That should solve the problem since there is nothing wrong with the pump.

6.5 qts is normal in the GTO. So that would make 7.5qts when racing.