Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to change heads/cam on LS6 & need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to change heads/cam on LS6 & need advice

I am thinking about doing a head/cam swap on my '67 Camaro. It has a 2002 LS1 with an M6, and it has been upgraded with stock 243 LS6 heads and 2002 LS6 cam. The motor has a set of shorty headers and a dual 2.5" x-pipe exhaust (no cats). It has also had some dyno tuning done by A&A corvette. I was told that it put down about 390 rwhp, but I am not 100% sure on this. FWIW, the car has a 10 bolt rearend with 4.11 gears.

I am looking for a good all-around cam that will give me a little lope at idle. I want this car to sound like a '67 Camaro should. I also don't want to sacrifice low-end power and drivability. Here is what I have in mind for my swap:

224/228 114lsa cam on Comp XER lobes

Stage 2 Patriot performance LS6 heads (not sure if I should go with stock valves or 2.02")

0.40" head gaskets to bump compression to 11:1

1 3/4" Stainless Works long-tubes ( I have them already, just need to install them)

FAST 90mm intake & throttle body upgrade? (not sure if this is really needed at this power level)

What kind of gains do you guys think I'll get with this combination over my current setup? Do you think I'll lose much power down-low or hurt my drivability? Do you think I'll be happy with the sound?

My future plans are to put a 122 Magnacharger on this motor, but I thought I would do some less expensive n/a mods first.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 02-17-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

What do u want out of engine. Darg car or steet? How much money? I have that cam on a 110LSA it does not lope much at all. I am getting AFR 205 heads but they are alot more. If money is tight just do the cam and save for better heads. To get more power u will need long tube header.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
What do u want out of engine. Darg car or steet? How much money? I have that cam on a 110LSA it does not lope much at all. I am getting AFR 205 heads but they are alot more. If money is tight just do the cam and save for better heads. To get more power u will need long tube header.

This is mostly a street car, which is why I am concerned about driveability. Money is not much of a problem, but I was looking at the Patriots as a good bang for the buck, and I've seen some pretty good dyno pulls with them. This is most likely a temporary combination, and I will probably change the heads when I do the blower. If I were planning to keep this combination for a long time, I would be going with some AFR's for sure.

I'm just trying to figure out if it's even worth messing with the engine in n/a tune, or if I should just do the heads/cam/blower and be done with it.

Andy