Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resurfacing heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Resurfacing heads?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if its neccesary to resurface the heads on LS1's before putting them back on? A friends dad told me I should always resurface the heads before they go back on, but I've never heard of anyone doing this. I blew a head gasket and I'm getting ready to put the heads back on with cometic gaskets and ARP head bolts. I'm pretty sure it blew because of me driving it hard when it had a miss (I know, I know, it was really stupid ), but I want to be sure. Anybody have any experience with this? All opinions and experiences welcome, thanks guys.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:08 PM

If you JUST blew a head gasket and now you're trying to install Cometic gaskets, I think your friend's dad's advice is VERY good advice. Cometic gaskets are very unforgiving gaskets. Even on a newly decked block and a freshly milled head they'll leak sometimes.

You should also check your block to make sure the deck surface is not damaged from this head gasket mishap (erosion).

Ben T.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't do it, I cleaned my heads and the block very very well, both were out of the car and I don't have an issue. I may be lucky though?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:17 PM

You also probably didn't just blow a stock head gasket. I'm not saying it won't seal, but the $100 you're going to spend getting them decked is good insurance.

Ben T.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Studytime
You also probably didn't just blow a stock head gasket. I'm not saying it won't seal, but the $100 you're going to spend getting them decked is good insurance.

Ben T.
thanks for the responses guys. I will have the heads done just in case. Studytime- What exactly does your first sentence mean? Do you mean it damaged more than just the gasket? Thanks again for the quick replies!
Old 03-01-2007, 04:07 PM

Depending on where the gasket blew at, it can cause severe damage to the physical engine as well. If the gasket blew between cylinders it can cause erosion of the aluminum head AND/OR it could cause material to be eroded away from the block. The result is a "low" spot in those area (that's if it's not visible), and in this spot the gasket doesn't recieve the same amount of crush force as the surrounding area and could potentially blow out again.

I've seen blown head gaskets that didn't damage anything, and I've also seen heads off a motor with a blown gasket that had to be ground on, welded, ground on more, and then decked to repair. Yours probably were no where near that severe, but having them milled anyway after blowing a gasket is a good idea just incase there is slight damage to the head's deck surface.

This is also the reason why some people have repeating head gasket issues. There's either a bad spot in the head/block or the head/block is no longer flat from overheating.

Ben T.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

cheack to see if it is warped, take a thick scale or any other straight edge, put it on the face of the head, than take feeler gages and see if you can slide it under the straight edge. there should be a tollerance on them, its probaly tight like .001,.002. im not sure.

Quick Reply: Resurfacing heads?