Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check the rear main for leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to check the rear main for leaks?

alright... im tearing the car down to fix my rear crank plug and while im in there i wanna make sure the rear main isnt leaking at all...

are there ANY ways to see if the rear main seal is leaking at all??? without the car running??? the rear crank plug has spewed oil all over everything so i will need to clean it all off really well first.

how common is it for a rear main to leak? just wanna make sure when i get the bish back together there wont be ANY leaks this time.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

I would just replace it whether its leaking or not, thats something you don't want leaking down the road.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:54 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I would just replace it whether its leaking or not, thats something you don't want leaking down the road.

Seriously I faced the same dilemma and searched all over and the consensous was "If it aint broke dont fix it" 78k miles so I thought why not run it? ****.... leaking now.... shoulda coulda woulda.

Do yourself a favor and just change it while your at it.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

lol just so you guys know it only has around 10k miles on it if that. it looks to be in perfect shape and im not asking whether i should replace it, im askin if there is any way to tell if thats where the leak is coming.

besides, its not very easy to replace it while its on the car is it? id think its pretty much impossible on a vette.