Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Need Help Fast!! Cam Swap In Progress!*

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Need Help Fast!! Cam Swap In Progress!*

Alright guys..i finally decided to do my cam swap this weekend..i was working on it really late last night..like..3 in the morning late..Im using wooden dowels to hold the lifters up..but when i spun the cam i could feel a slight thud on one certain spot..the dowel looked like it was almsot completely in..So i figured i would "play it safe"...i took a pen magnet that i have and stuck it down pushrod hole in the head (hole for #7 intake)..well needless to say that ****** thing is stuck on something...It doesent feel like its the magnet that is stuck to something...it feels like the head of the magnet is caught on something..If that makes sense..? Like its hung up on a lip or something down there...To make matters worse, the top of the telescoping handle is starting to break from me wiggling it around trying to dislodge it from whatever its caught on...I tested the magnet on a flat metal surface..i just stuck it on and pulled it straight off like 10 times...and the magnet didnt come off of the handle, so i figured i wouldnt have any trouble using this magnet..So does anyone know what i can do??....Should i just pull it up and see what happens?? Right now it feels like i'm gonna pull on it, and part of the telescopic handle is gonna stay in the head..So i really really need some advice here..Im so bummed...ive had this cam for over a year and finally decide to install it and this is what happens..lol..It seems like everytime i try to be a little extra careful, thats when i will **** something up...So anyways..If anyone knows what it could be stuck on..and could give me any advice on how to get it out..i would really appreciate it..The car is at my parents house..i live about an hour from them..If i dont get it up and running today im gonna have to get rides for the next week until i can get back to my parents house the following weekend..Alright well thanks for any help you guys can give me..

Travis
Old 12-16-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Travis,

There is room above the lifter to get the magnet lodged between the lifter and the tray. I would start by doing the following. Figure out when that lobe of the cam would be on the base circle (valve closed) then get something to push the lifter down all the way onto the cam (a chopstick might work for this and won't scratch the lifter cup). This will open the most room between the top of the lifter and the lifter tray. See my cartoon below.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

wow great diagram. it sounds like that is exactly what is happening here...........

i had two lifters drop into the oil pan bc of stupid pen magnets. boy what a bump in the road that was
Old 12-17-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Travis,

There is room above the lifter to get the magnet lodged between the lifter and the tray. I would start by doing the following. Figure out when that lobe of the cam would be on the base circle (valve closed) then get something to push the lifter down all the way onto the cam (a chopstick might work for this and won't scratch the lifter cup). This will open the most room between the top of the lifter and the lifter tray. See my cartoon below.

Hey man...thanks for the help..I was having a hard time picturing what i could have been hung up on..after that picture, it made perfect sense. That was exactly what was happening...After i got the magnet out the rest of the install went smooth..
Old 12-17-2007, 06:36 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Travis,

your an artist bob, good work. i think you just saved this guy from pulling the heads. awesome info as usual.