Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear engine cover leak (search not working)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear engine cover leak (search not working)

I'm in the middle of tranny rebuild/clutch install and thought I had a rear main leak on my MTI built 388 with less than 2k on it. Well after getting it apart it looks like the rear cover meets teh oil pan especially in the corners. It looks like extra sealant was used in these places and is leaking a bit. I don't want it getting into the bell housing and all over my new clutch

can I unbolt the rear engine cover and reseal it? I thought most of these gaskets didn't use sealant?

I'll take pics pretty soon in case I'm not explaining it correctly!

Thanks.

Bobby
Old 04-21-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rear cover seals with the rear cover gasket, rear main seal, and oil pan gasket. You MUST you RTV in the bottom corners of the cover or it will leak since there is no gasket here. Tightening sequence is also important. I like to tighten down the bottom cover bolts first then the oil pain to cover bolts. It gets the corners nestled in before tightening down the other bolts.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK RTV on the corners, so can I remove just the cover? then try and remove the RTV in the corners or is that going to run the oil pan gasket? I'm trying to avoid having to change out the oil pan gasket. If I do that with my mentallity it will have a new K member and a arms and I've got too much going on as it is!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Rear engine cover leak (search not working)