Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam or no cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam or no cam

Well, the car got an awsome bent rim today (but gave me an excuse to order some C6 Z06's) and since its going to take 7-10 business days for them to get here i was thinking of going ahead and putting a cam in the car while its down. I cant afford heads right away since im on kinda a budget. I was thinking a mildish cam since its a DD, but also maybe waiting and doing the swap when i can afford heads (possibly 3 months). Should i wait and do them at the same time so i can get it tuned together, or run the cam the "mild" cam for 3 months or so before i get heads. Havent thought of specs yet since i havent really figured out a set of heads i wanna order. But if i do end up putting a cam in before heads, should i go ahead and freshen up the pushrods, springs, all that good stuff or do that when i put the heads in?

Bent rim:

Last edited by skeels; 04-23-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would wait if you are going to do the heads anyway. You will probably have to do the springs at the time of the cam and you might as well wait and get pre-assembled heads with springs.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

It all depens on how you're going to tune it. If you are tuning it yourself, then go ahead with the cam, pushrods and springs. You can always sell the springs later if you get heads. I just did. If you're paying 400 bucks for the tune though, you might want to wait and do it all at once.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

wait and do it all together. You will need new springs, pushrods, timing chain, and a ported oil pump to be on the safe side. It will end up costing more than you think. And if you are getting heads and cam, you may be needing to get new injectors as well.

Now when you buy the heads, you can get the springs you want installed on the heads usually cheaper.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Yea, guess ill just wait and do it all at once since ill be paying for a tune. Guess its not a good idea to ride around with it untuned with a cam since its already running kinda bad with bolt-ons
Old 04-23-2007, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Good Point...timing chain, ported oil pump, pushrods, then you're gonna want an LS6 intake, a ported Throttle Body, Headers. Save your money, build one bad *** motor, and enjoy it.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 70LS1Nova
Good Point...timing chain, ported oil pump, pushrods, then you're gonna want an LS6 intake, a ported Throttle Body, Headers. Save your money, build one bad *** motor, and enjoy it.
Forgot to mention the car is an 01 so it already has the ls6 intake manifold, i have a lid, LTs with ORY, P&P Tb and MAF, and im sure im forgeting some other stuff