Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to leak down test?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to leak down test?

how do i do a leak down test? what kind of tester do you need? i know how to do a compression test...did one a few months ago. a leak down test checks for valves leaking right?
i just want to check whats going on on the insides of my motor. my compression test was good, 150-170psi on all cylinders.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, the leak down tester requires an air compresser to feed the eng. like 100psi. basically, it has the hose like the compression tester, only it connects to 2 gauges (one tool) one gauge measures the psi comeing into the eng. from the air compressor and is adj.. the other gauge measures how much pressure is on the other side of that. basically it will always leak some by the rings no matter what. your looking for 2 things. #1 is a good high press. example your feeding the cyl. 100psi, the gauge reads95psi. you have 5% leakdown. and #2 your looking for cyl.s that read more/less leakdown the the rest. the cyl. your looking at has to be on the compression stroke, and bothvalves fully seated. if you ahve a bad leak, and you want to know int. or exh. valve burned maybe, then open the throttle and listen inside the intake for the air leak. or see if its goin into the exh. system. other sources of leaks could be bad rings, poor cyl walls, head gasket leak, broken piston.