Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod to cam interference

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rod to cam interference

Anyone ever experienced any problems when building a stroker with the connecting rod (or even crank) coming close to the cam lobes? I know the Gen III has a raised cam position compared to the old SBC but figured this might be an issue in some extreme applications with big stroke cranks (and maybe with big aluminum rods, etc).

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2007, 10:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if your rods are that long you couldn't even fit a piston on top of it. There is no way a rod should come that close to the cam. These motors have been around long enough that alot of companies already make the correct size rods for almost any combo you could want. You just gotta read carefully & order correctly.

Lost of guys stick with the stock crank as long as its in good condition. I have seen numerous cars go deep 10's on a stock crank, so unless its a drag only car or you got extra money to burn, I wouldn't even mess with a aftermarket crank.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a theoretical question BTW... I know many crank/rod/piston packages are available that are proven to work, and have installed my fair share of them. I am inquiring about this because I've never tried to run anything larger than a 4.00-inch crank and I'm simply wondering about the potential danger of not checking this clearance when building a big stroker.

Actually, I believe the clearance I am referring to would have almost nothing to do with rod length. The area of the rod that should come closest to the cam is not the beam of the rod, but rather in the vicinity of where the threads of the rod bolt end ("top of the rod bolt threads" if you want to call them that). I figured there would be a lot of engine builders on here who may have shoehorned 4.125 or even 4.25 stroke cranks into a Gen III or IV block who may have run into this issue, especially when using an aluminum rod, which tend to be physically larger in dimensions. This would require either clearancing of this area of the rod and/or use of a smaller base circle cam.

I would like to assume that since the likes of the LSX block and other aftermarket blocks do not have a "raised" cam provision, this clearance is fine no matter how big of a crank you throw in. Anyone with experience on this subject? Thanks for your help.