Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Son of a....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Son of a....

....I just got a call from my mechanic. I had dropped off the car for an LS7 clutch install and asked him to take a listen to the motor as it's made a little racket since I bought the car at the end of last year. He took a quick listen when I dropped it off and said it sounded like the lifters, which may be something as simple as a pre-load issue. I told him I hoped that's all it was.

Fast forward to today and he calls me up....

"Yeah, your pushrods are too short. You have 7.35's and you need 7.4's according to my pushrod length checker and dial indicator."

Thanks to the *%&%*#*% shop that put the motor together for the previous owner, it's been running too short of a pushrod for the last 10k miles. Sometimes, I wonder what the hell it is people are thinking.

I know the heads were ported/polished stockers that may have been milled a hair to ensure a flat surface when they were re-installed. But, the cam has a smaller base circle than stock. So, WTF would you go to a 7.35???

I guess the good news is there's still a little more left in her numbers wise...

/rant off
Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Well i hate to hear that about your car, but look at the bright side. you found where the noise is coming from and maybe even squeeze a couple more ponies out of her when you get the correct pushrod. I don't understand why people don't just spend 20 bucks on a pushrod length checker, and elminate all the guess work.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by onebadZ28
Well i hate to hear that about your car, but look at the bright side. you found where the noise is coming from and maybe even squeeze a couple more ponies out of her when you get the correct pushrod. I don't understand why people don't just spend 20 bucks on a pushrod length checker, and elminate all the guess work.
My main problem is, this was a shop...a shop that is supposed to be considered reputable. I even think that have a banner running down the right side of this site. That's what really irks me about something simple like this.