Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Port/polish '98 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DIY Port/polish '98 heads?

Is it even worthwhile to DIY P&P a set of '98 heads? I would like to try my hand at porting a set of heads and I figured that a set of bare '98 heads would be a cheaper way to learn. Are there any realizable gains from DIY P&P? How much on average does it cost to flow a set of heads?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I laugh at the first set of heads I attempted to "port."

Looking back, I never would have got good results from the information I was pulling from. It took having a mentor who was a very accomplished porter teaching me what to do and how to do it. Without someone showing you what to do, it will be very tough to get a good start. Even once you know what to do, actually getting it accomplished without ruining a head will be the next obstacle.

I guess to better answer your question, if a 10hp gain is what you're looking for, it might be worth it. If you want to have a competive casting when you are done, then NO it would not be worth it. Flowbench numbers aren't the end-all factor that judges if a head will perform. We've had heads pick up ZERO cfm on the bench (of course with port work) and show a 15 hp gain on the engine dyno, and we've had heads show a 15 cfm gain on the bench and pick up zero on th engine dyno.

Good luck.

Ben T.