Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 ls7?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ls6 ls7?

Okay, i am new to this thread. I have a 1998 ss camaro. I am looking at building an engine that will be NA at first,then i am going to either a custom TT setup or a twin screw. what would you suggest, building an ls6 or an ls7? i need to make big power, and it be streetable. i don't really have a budget but if i can spend less money on a built ls6 and get close to the same power of a built ls7 (within around 50hp) then i would much rather do that. also where can i find a good place for the parts to build either of hemotors, because all of my searches fail to turn up any results.

thank you
Old 06-06-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going turbo or supercharger is something you need to decide before hand. To build a motor for n/a power and one for forced induction are 2 different things.
You have to ask yourself a few questions first

1- Goals. Certain hp level or a certain time at the track or what??
2- intended useage- street or strip or a combination. If a combo give a percentage.
3- Money- You have a budget, it may be pretty high to you right now, but believe me, the car will eat it alive.

FYI I am not really sure if a twin screw is a option in a f-body. Cowl is in the way..
Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 PM

thank you for the reply

1.I am going f/i either 2.8l kenne bell or twin turbo setup.I am looking for close to 1000bhp or more.
2. A mix of street strip will be driven on the street a decent amount of time
3.budget doesnt really matter i would like to spend under 15k on the engine alone.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

You will be limited on your FI selection because of the cowl.
Having said that let's assume you will be going TT. You can make 1000 BHP with either one. However if it were me I would do it like this for reliability reasons

LSX block $2000
either et or all pro ls7 style 6 bolt heads $4000
callies crank and rods $2000
diamond pistons $1000
Wilson billet intake $3000

All prices are approximate. And yes youcould do it for cheaper, but this will handle any thing you want to throw at it and laugh at it.

There are a million different combiantions you could do this with. Like I said, this is just the way I would do it.
The turbo setup will determine your ultimate power. Speed-Inc sells a couple of killer kits.

Good luck!!!

Keith
Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 PM

Thumbs up

thank you i really appreiate it. wouldnt i need to buy an ignition system too? Also i looked up speed-inc awesome link
Old 06-06-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls67camaro
thank you i really appreiate it. wouldnt i need to buy an ignition system too? Also i looked up speed-inc awesome link
Nope. Stockers go all day. But MSD makes a coil replacement that you might want to look into if your goal is 1000bhp. But they are not necessary.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:58 PM

What cam should i use for a nice, choppy idle? and big power?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

What cam should i use for a nice, choppy idle? and big power?
If your talking about for 1000bhp, I dont know. Out of my league.

If your talking about just for now, as something to throw in there in the time being. If you get too big, your driveability will suffer. Meaning you can drive it on the street, but it will be difficult or annoying at the least. Everybody has a different limit.

You could go with an MS3/4 cam from TSP, or another custom ground cam from a vendor. Speed Inc., MTI, Thunder Racing, Tbyrne, all those guys have some good selections.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:39 PM

okay well with aorund 1000hp would i HAVE to upgrade my 6 speed?i will get a twin disk clutch but a new trans to handle the power is about 5k.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

okay well with aorund 1000hp would i HAVE to upgrade my 6 speed?i will get a twin disk clutch but a new trans to handle the power is about 5k.
Ummm, yes, you will. Call Six Speeds Inc. and tell them Jason sent ya. They can get you a setup custom built for your application, and for probably less than 5k. Amber can get ya what you need to get the job done.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:47 PM

i figured so but the 5k tranc could only hand 900bhp so i just wondered. thanks for the link is the 3k manifold neccesary?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

i figured so but the 5k tranc could only hand 900bhp so i just wondered. thanks for the link is the 3k manifold neccesary?
3k manifold?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think some people forgot to tell you that bigger will make you alot less streetable. You could pull that hp # with the LS1 or LS6! I noticed your also looking for a choppy ideling cam. Probably not going to happen with the turbo set up. A good sound yes, but buying a cam just for that will not happen with the forced induction set up. The twin screw you had mention probably will not happen either unless you plan on cutting up your wiper cowl. The billet manifold that was mention is also uneccesary. I would run a LS1 block in a 383, or ls2 block in the 402 sizes. Talk and ask around about the set up to some of the sponsors on here. They are very helpfull. I have a buddy with a stock cubbed 2000SS 347, single turbo set up. Nothing special at all other than running a stand alone unit. It made 812 rwhp & 744rwtq. It's a daily driver and he has put about 6000 miles on it with no problems.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2 fast 2000
I think some people forgot to tell you that bigger will make you alot less streetable.

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
If you get too big, your driveability will suffer.

Your right, he doesn't need to stroke it, but some better internals are in order. The stock crank should be ok, but the rods/pistons need to be something a little more up to task. All he would need is some Diamond forged dished pistons, with some Compstar rods.

If your buddy is a completely factory stock rotating assembly, then congrats to him, no doubt, but lets not get anywhere near saying that this is/can be a common setup.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE

Your right, he doesn't need to stroke it, but some better internals are in order. The stock crank should be ok, but the rods/pistons need to be something a little more up to task. All he would need is some Diamond forged dished pistons, with some Compstar rods.

If your buddy is a completely factory stock rotating assembly, then congrats to him, no doubt, but lets not get anywhere near saying that this is/can be a common setup.
I figured at that kind of power you would have realized my buddy's car has forged internals. All I said was that he is stock cubbed . Stock internals at that kind of power would be a big mistake! I did suggest stroking the motor. Read the post again!!! I was just stating the LS7 427 cubbed motor was not at all necessary. Neither is the LSX $2000 block. He is trying to save as much $ as possible.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 PM

thank you for your reply. i undertsand about the cam. what i ment by saying i wanted to save cash wasnt that this was budget, but that i didnt want to drop 20+k on an engine alone. this will be close to a DD. i just figure i would rather spend 1k on a maifold and tb then 3k for just manifold.

so forged internals, bigger intake, clutch/trans, and twin turbo setup should accomplish my goal and still be DD able?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Banned

Well, your turbos will have to be pretty big to get 1000hp, and you probably won't have a good pressure balance between the exhaust and intake.. will probably take a while to spool them with a 347 motor.. but if the intake pressure is higher than the exhaust backpressure your cam will fall more along the lines of an NA cam which you could still get a nice lope from and not hurt the turbo system. Could always spool a bit quicker with a shot of nitrous too
Old 06-06-2007, 10:27 PM

well im probly going to stroke. I dont know how many cubes though.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Don't forget that you will probably want a 9" rear unless you want to turn your stock 10 bolt into tiny shrapnel.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 PM

I have also looked at that i was thinking a s60.