Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major oil leak...Need input?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major oil leak...Need input?

Ok first thing my car started doing this after cam/chain/oil pump install. It's not leaking when it sits, just under high load/high rpm. It's not a drip either kinda like a fine spray, cause theres oil film everywhere frame rails, K-member, accesorys. It appears to be coming from the rear of the pan.

I'm assuming that the pan is misaligned or I didn't torque the bolts in the right sequence. Any help would be greatly apprecited.

TIA
Jim
Old 05-04-2003, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Major oil leak...Need input?

come on guys, I know somone has to know the proper torque sequence for the oil pan? I assume it start in the middle and work your way out. and what about the two bellhousing bolts?

Please help guys
Old 05-04-2003, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't torque them in any particular order ... just snugged them all up an then used my torque wrench to torque them down (I think it's 104 inch/lbs?)

maybe you torqued some down too tight and it's pinching the pan?
Old 05-04-2003, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see how it could be coming from the rear of the pan if it is all over your accessories. It may just be acumulating back there. check your front crank seal.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

I had the same thing happen to me. My problem was i didnt alighn the chain cover to the pully properly, and the front crank seal was leaking. Afer i would drive it it would leak baddd! then when it sat nothing. So look around your pully and see if it's wet under it. If so that is it! Crappy thing is you have to pull the water pump to change it. Then next time just put all the bolts for the cover in but do not tighten them. Now tighten the pully down into the new seal. Then torq the cover.
Also if it is from the rear of the pan it would be clean on the k-member. So i would look up front. Remember when your driving it will fling back not forward. Also my muffler was oily. LOL
Old 05-04-2003, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Did you use silicon in front cover corners where it meets the oil pan ? It could be that too if there is some crank pressure build up.