Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Measuring pushrods?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Measuring pushrods?

I have read almost every thread on here about pushrods and still don't totally understand how to measure for them. I just finished degreeing my cam for the first time and it took me forever, but now I know how to do it.

So I think my biggest problem is how to get around the lifter collapsing. I have a set of checker springs, but the lifter will still compresses when the lobe starts to come up. I have a checker pushrod, but I have read a couple different ways to use it. A lot of things say to look at the rocker to valve tip contact, but if the lifter is collapsed I think this will be different than if it's pumped up.

Another method was to use the checker pushrod and adjust it until 0 lash, then add the recommended preload.

The lifter seems to also become a problem when I want to measure PtoV as well.

Anyone have tips on doing this? I have read most of the articles on the net already. Do I need to make a lifter solid? If so how do I do it?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To check for P-V clearance you want the soft checker spring installed, to avoid collapsing the plunger in the lifter as the cam lifts.
To check for proper pushrod length, you may want to install your 918 or dual spring n the head, to avoid opening the valve as you expand the adjustable pushrod
Old 06-25-2007, 09:10 AM
11 Second Club

So for the pushrods I just need to tighten the rocker bolt, open the checker until I reach zero lash then add the preload number to that?

I have checker springs in right now, but I guess they are still too strong. They will even collapse the lifter.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

What brand checker spring is it?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by voda1
What brand checker spring is it?
Comp cams.