Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cam will fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What cam will fit?

I purchased my car last Fall with a 224/228 .588/.588 cam and a set of Patriot ported LS6 heads with the Patriot Gold Dual Springs (good to .650 lift) and titanium retainers.

The car isn't making the power I want and so I had decided to go with a larger cam, but after speaking with Gunnar at Patriot, I found out the heads were milled .015" to get 62cc. My original plan was to go BIG (like Magic Stick 4 big) since this car is strictly for racing (not daily driven what-so-ever) and I'm willing to sacrifice streetability for power, but I was recently told that since the heads have been milled that much, I can't go much bigger than the current cam.

I do not know too much about heads, as I am still learning, so I am looking for some reliable information on just how big I can go with a new cam since this is a big/expensive decision for me to be making. ANY input or advice, whether direct or just the names or contact of someone who can help, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i very much doubt it will fit, but you can always fly cut the pistons to make it fit. Its not difficult at all to do, could easily be done in a day.

Justin
Old 07-09-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThirdGenLS1
i very much doubt it will fit, but you can always fly cut the pistons to make it fit. Its not difficult at all to do, could easily be done in a day.

Justin

+1, if the heads are milled then your probably going to have to fly-cut the pistons or go with a new set of heads. Best bet would be to give all your specs on your cylinder heads to whoever is going to be grinding your cam and have them find the most aggressive cam profile for your setup. Otherwise you could sell the milled heads and pick up a set of pc ls6 heads (around $1000) and go with a cam like the ms4.