Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swap cost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine swap cost?

Anyone have an idea for the cost to pull one motor and install another?

Also, how much can I get for my LS1? It has 71,000 miles and is in good shape.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1 can bring good money. I sold one for 3k. I was totally complete from pan to TB and included wireing harness and all sensors and ignition equipment...it had Everything.

as for an engine install i am interested too anyone know the Book time on an engine R&R
Old 07-25-2007, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Engine swaps are gonna depend on what you wanna take out and replace it with. Replacing a drivetrain that was never meant to be in a car can take a lot more than you think. Probably need to change mounts, possibly new tranny, wiring, changing radiator hoses, clearance issues. Or it could be as easy as drop in and go. I know putting the ls1 into my 69 isn't going to be the quickest task because I know very little about wiring.

What are you two looking to swap? That will help decide how much time it will take.

And on the ls1's. I'd say if its a complete drop-out anywhere from 1500-2700. Thats the price range that I've seen so far and I've been looking like mad for one. Finally scored what I hope to be a deal when I picked a full engine up for 775 (it smoked probably blown piston rings). We'll soon see if it was a deal or not!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had never changed an engine before and swapped my engine and tranny at the same time. i did polyurethane mounts, 42lb injectors, and a bunch of other stuff. i did it mostly by myself and it took 16 hours on a lift. that was with me double checking everything and taking my time. i say try to do it yourself and spend the money on more mods. if you get stuck on something you could always look to ls1tech for help. but i was quoted $1500 and up.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula_Power
LS1 can bring good money. I sold one for 3k. I was totally complete from pan to TB and included wireing harness and all sensors and ignition equipment...it had Everything.

as for an engine install i am interested too anyone know the Book time on an engine R&R
he's just swapping blocks he isnt parting out the entire drivetrain and harness.

Are you getting a long block or a short block?

Are you going to do it yourself or have it done? Doing it yourself is of course a lot cheaper. My guess would be anywhere from 1000 to 1500 for a shop to do it minimum.

Dont count on a lot of money for your used short block either. The market is flooded with ls1's and you can get a forged lsx for cheap money so why wouyld you buy a used peice?