Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my new forged 346 in

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my new forged 346 in

After talking with warren @ Katech and figuring out Chris worked at Diamond both great company's. I got some tech advise from chris after I cracked a piston. Engine has 10,000 miles on it Katech evaluated the head gasket piston informed me of the cause was detonation. So Chris had a set of pistons turned down to fit the stock bores. Paul @ thunder racing hooked me up with the Lunati 6.125 pro mod full floating rods(sweet) made a couple tech calls during the build up spoke to shane @ thunder racing wanted to verify rod installation Lunati side toward crank on each rod journal due to a slight chafer on the big end. Glad I called 4 were installed backward all rods were installed lunati facing front. So I reinstalled rod IAW Shane's advice lunati facing crank and USA together,there was no directions with rods. Cam is a Comp Custom Nitrous 224/228 dur 581/588 with 2 degrees ground in lift installed this time straight up with a cloyes gear and new JWIS chain. I cleaned up my LS6 Stage II heads with new CC918 springs. Bottom line It fired right up and it feels more docile at idle because I backed the cam timing off, but this is a nitrous motor so lesson learned less cam timing prevents detonation. I have not run it above 3500RPM yet trying to get some miles on it first. Compared to stock rods and pistons I should be way ahead now and a complete rod and piston & ring combo was about $1200. Well thanks for the support from Katech,(warren) Diamond,(chris) and (Paul, Shane)Thunder Racing. Shooting for 10's
Old 05-20-2003, 08:23 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Got my new forged 346 in

Hawk,

Sounds like you have a great motor.

You can't go wrong with the people you are working with.

Good luck on your quest for the 10's.

Coach
Old 05-20-2003, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool,should hall ***.i'm a week away from my new a.r.e motor.i got more ci's and all the good stuf money can buy. goodluck to ya man
Old 05-20-2003, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

cool,should hall ***.i'm a week away from my new a.r.e motor.i got more ci's and all the good stuf money can buy. goodluck to ya man
I hope you have better luck than a buddy of mine. He has an ARE 436 with all the trimmings and bolt-ons in his '99 WS6 A4. I don't even think he has 430 to the ground (even though the shop that installed it dyno'd a VERY questionable 467 rwhp).

He got raped by my buddies '03 Cobra who's only makin' 465 rwhp . . . raped by F I V E cars through 1 and a half gears

My car hangs with the cobra

I'm gonna a-tap it . . . and then tune it because Ed Wright (I know . . . I know . . . the owner of this 436 is green . . . he didn't know about mail-order tuning) screwed up this car BAD. In over-drive at 60 on the highway, it detonates badly
Old 05-22-2003, 01:31 AM
Staging Lane

I built this myself it was $1000+ cheaper than a ARE set up. I installed Lunati rods and diamond pistons. ARE uses the stock rod but can be upgraded to the pro mod rod for $650 bones.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

last year with stock bottom end and MOST of the boltons i pushed 424.1hp and 408tq. all i have from a.r.e is a fresh block,with forged rods,better pistons,oil pump,tim chain, and a few more ci's.the boltons,heads and cam is all my old mti products from last year.i also hope i have goodluck too,thanks for the info.