Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrolocked LS1 Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrolocked LS1 Question

Hey guys, I just purchased a 2000 LS1 out of a corvette for 150 bucks. Nothing was broken (Block, Heads) thankfully. however the heads are really black and the cylinders are the normal black and have slight rust trying to form from water sitting on the piston. The rust flakes off no problem but I am pretty sure that they need to be replaced. I intend on tearing it completely down to inspect the crank / bearings / rods beacuse like i said, nothing broke in the motor, no catastropic failure, not even a bent pushrod! the engine was idling when is ingested the water and it just stopped running. The guy tried to restart it and broke the starter and they took the motor out and tried to hand crank it with the heads still on and they couldnt turn it over. When we pulled the heads off there was still water in 3 of the cylinders. As far as i can tell, I see no cracks, holes in both the block and heads. How should I go about fixing this baby up?

This is my first ever engine building experience and I want to make sure i get things right.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be real cautious of the connecting rods, hydrolocking will almost always bend them. As long as the rods are ok you can replace bearings and rings and slap it back together.

Quick Reply: Hydrolocked LS1 Question