Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continue LS1 build or go 6.0 Iron block?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Continue LS1 build or go 6.0 Iron block?

Ok, this might be kind of long, so I apologise in advance. I've had one project burning, but now it looks like I've got another. So I'm gonna just tell the whole story instead of trying to break it down and hope for some guru advice here.

For the record:I'm doing a LSx swap into a '94 V6 F body (I've already been berated multiple times about just buying a newer car, its not worth it, blah blah et al..but I'm already committed to it, so its happening, case closed.)

I have a couple of cars, but I wanted this to be something I can drive to work everyday (city streets) and out on the weekend, but not something I plan to count as a "daily driver." Tame enough for me, but not something I could just let my date hop in and run to the store, you know.

A) So far, I'm at a stock crank LS1 with 6.125 Scat rods and Forged Probe pistons with Bo White ported 5.3 heads and TB, Patriot springs, stock ratio rockers, LS6 intake, Comp 273 (224/230, .581/.588 114*)XE-R lobes. TH-350 trans, 8.5 Posi 3.42, which I think should put me into the Mid 7s 1/8 mile on a mostly stock suspension, thinking about NOS, but that's for a later date. Still working on what computer I'm gonna use...
I thought a lot about this combo and after numerous revisions I think this will suit me best.
Which brings me to:
B) I've just bought a 6.0 truck engine, not sure which year, but its a Iron block/Aluminum heads, Pre-05. I didn't really need it, but it was literally a STEAL! Still got all accessories and intake, fuel injection...just came out of the truck. (The guy bought a new motor because because of Piston Slap, so I got it for the core charge) I've heard it run, and it had some slap, but nothing I haven't heard before. It's got <50,000 miles on it.

Now, I'm wondering what would happen if I just had Bo port the stock 6.0 heads, threw this 273XE-R cam in it and the TB/LS6 intake off the LS1. With the increased displacement (and weight I know) will this engine be roughly equal to what the LS1 would have been? Even if I need to go with a little larger cam, that's still a whole lot cheaper than the Rods and Pistons for the LS1.

Also,
C) I'm sure I know the answer, but the collective brain trust might have a suggestion: Is there any way the 5.3 ported/valved heads I already have will go on the stock 6L block without major compression issues? I'm thinking the bore is just too large.

Anyone?

Ideas, suggestions, comments, dirty jokes?