Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I cant figure this one out

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default powersteering fluid is getting in the radiator?

I just installed the vindicator kit in a 98 SS and everything is done and the car runs good but powersteering fluid keeps getting in the coolant. All the SS's i have seen have the hard pipe in the radiator hose and I am assuming that to be a power steering cooler. I thought maybe i had the lines backwards so i changed them around but still having the problem. The only thing i can think of is something in that hard pipe has broke. It had trouble keeping power steering fluid in it before the install but never thought to look in the coolant. The car never gets over 180.

Last edited by kkslds; 09-28-2007 at 09:23 AM. Reason: title change
Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

No one can help? And also the rocker arms are pretty noisy but when you start driving it gets kinda unbearable. It carries right under 40 psi of oil pressure and when you stomp on it it kinda fluctuates but doesnt go much over 40. My guess on that was to get a new oil pump because it wasn't carrying enough oil up top when the car is driving. It's only able to keep up at an idle. If anyone else has had either of these problems some help would be great.

Last edited by kkslds; 09-27-2007 at 11:57 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 09-27-2007, 09:09 PM
12 Second Club

T T T
Old 09-28-2007, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

T T T
Old 09-28-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not getting much help because PS fluid in coolant isn't an internal engine subject.

I'd go buy a one-piece rad hose (just tell the parts guy you don't have PS cooler) and swap that in. Haven't yet seen the rack 'n pinion street car that needed a PS cooler, and in your case it's a cheap diagnostic...that cooler is the only place where PS fluid and coolant can interact.

As for your 2nd post, sounds like your engine is about to puke. Get a $12 mechanic's stethoscope and listen along the valve covers, the block sides, etc. to get an idea of the noise source. If it's the rockers, you'll hear a sharp clatter at the valve covers. Might even be able to narrow down the location of the noisy rocker(s).

If the clatter noise is louder when you probe the block sides, you have bearing issues. I suspect this is the case given your lazy oil pressure, but the stethoscope is a good investment anyway.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you have power steering fluid in the coolant. The power steering cooler is leaking. It's sort of a no brainer. The cooler is the only place they can come in contact with each other. You either have to replace the cooler or install a lower hose from a car with out the optional cooler.

I would remove the cooler as they are prone to going bad and install a cheap 3-4 pass cooler in front of the A/C condenser.

Are your push rods the right length???

Re'
Old 09-28-2007, 04:03 PM
12 Second Club

well i know that is the only point of contact but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I was wondering if i could just pull one of the lines off and take the other line and loop it over to the other hole on the power steering pump and take the other hose and just conect the two spots on the radiator hose. Just make the pump circulate back into itself and bypass the coolant.
And for the pushrods i bought a kit from vengeance so i would guess they would be right. We took the valve cover off on the drivers side and let it run and it sounded normal. It's only after you drive for a while like there just not getting enough oil. Oil pressure doesnt really move from where it does on idle. Also its a 98 oil pump with a big cam so it probably needs a new one anyway. Bought a tsp ported ls6 pump so we'll see if that solves it.
Sorry for posting in the wrong thread. Thanks for the help anyway though.