Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a Vacuum Pump help my problem???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a Vacuum Pump help my problem???

I have a 408 that is smoking. At first it would putt out a good puff when I would first jump on it. That was when I had an automatic in it and with little smaller cam. The cam I had was a 244/248 comp XE-R. Since, I installed a T56 and a bigger Futral 248/252 cam. I am having oil consumption issues as well. I had black watery/oily stuff spitting out of my exhaust when sitting and idling. I have since sealed my intake rocker bolts and the crap spitting out of my exhaust has stopped. I haven't checked to see if that stopped all of my oil consumption but I bet it made a big dent in that problem. Anyway, it is lightly puffing smoke while idling still out the exhaust and I get little puffs of smoke out of my breather that is in my passenger side valve cover (PCV is disconnected and breathers are in both of my valvecovers). When I jump on it it smokes a decent aamount and leaves a trail of smoke behind me and I see a bluer colored smoke after I let off of the gas pedal. I only have 1000 miles on this short block. After seeing all of the people who have smoking issues on this site, it is hard to believe all of those people have ring problems since most of the issue start after the car is modded with bigger cams and new heads. Would a vacuum pump help or resolve my problem?

Thanks
Mark
Old 10-01-2007, 11:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
I have a 408 that is smoking. At first it would putt out a good puff when I would first jump on it. That was when I had an automatic in it and with little smaller cam. The cam I had was a 244/248 comp XE-R. Since, I installed a T56 and a bigger Futral 248/252 cam. I am having oil consumption issues as well. I had black watery/oily stuff spitting out of my exhaust when sitting and idling. I have since sealed my intake rocker bolts and the crap spitting out of my exhaust has stopped. I haven't checked to see if that stopped all of my oil consumption but I bet it made a big dent in that problem. Anyway, it is lightly puffing smoke while idling still out the exhaust and I get little puffs of smoke out of my breather that is in my passenger side valve cover (PCV is disconnected and breathers are in both of my valvecovers). When I jump on it it smokes a decent aamount and leaves a trail of smoke behind me and I see a bluer colored smoke after I let off of the gas pedal. I only have 1000 miles on this short block. After seeing all of the people who have smoking issues on this site, it is hard to believe all of those people have ring problems since most of the issue start after the car is modded with bigger cams and new heads. Would a vacuum pump help or resolve my problem?

Thanks
Mark
sounds like you have a little blow-by, a vacuum pump will definitely help out, seat those rings fully, the one i offer drives right off of your accessory drive, and comes as a kit with new idler, drive assembly, and adjustable pump.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Restricted User

sending you a pm...
Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Restricted User

Well, I bought a GZ Motorsports one. I will report back after I get it and install it.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Ryan do you have a picture of the vacum pump that you offer? I'm about to go to a race water pump and no p/s (so the belt is just running from the crank to the ALT and that's it) and am also putting a motor plate in at the same time, if your setup is something that can be adapted to what I'm doing I would like some info on it.