Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Chain Tension!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Timing Chain Tension!!!!

I purchased a 2002 ls1 from a trans am with 32k on it. I got the motor up on the stand and am cleaning a couple things before I install it in my 63 chevy II project. The motor is very clean and seems to be taking care of. It has a texas speed torquer II cam and upgraded valvetrain. The person also installed the newer LS2 timing chain and sprockets...

My question is I was testing the play on the timing chain (Just because) and I noticed there is more tension on the right side of the chain, than the left. I remember I installed a double roller timing chain on my LT1 and the tension seemed tight (even on both sides). (there is more slack on the left side than the right of the timing chain)

What do you guys thing about this, any ideas. Do the thing a piston is on the compression stroke on the right side and the tension hasn't gone around the chain yet!!???? ( I am getting alittle worried). Btw, I noticed the ls2 timing chain is a single roller and maybe isn't at stiff as a double roller I am use to!!????

Thanks Mark
Old 10-02-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlmostfastLT1
I purchased a 2002 ls1 from a trans am with 32k on it. I got the motor up on the stand and am cleaning a couple things before I install it in my 63 chevy II project. The motor is very clean and seems to be taking care of. It has a texas speed torquer II cam and upgraded valvetrain. The person also installed the newer LS2 timing chain and sprockets...

My question is I was testing the play on the timing chain (Just because) and I noticed there is more tension on the right side of the chain, than the left. I remember I installed a double roller timing chain on my LT1 and the tension seemed tight (even on both sides). (there is more slack on the left side than the right of the timing chain)

What do you guys thing about this, any ideas. Do the thing a piston is on the compression stroke on the right side and the tension hasn't gone around the chain yet!!???? ( I am getting alittle worried). Btw, I noticed the ls2 timing chain is a single roller and maybe isn't at stiff as a double roller I am use to!!????

Thanks Mark
the chain is just like that on a bicycle or motorcycle.
the side pulling the load will always be tight, and the other side will have the slack.. on your bicycle, when you pedal, the pedal gear pulls the top of the chain, and the bottom sags with some slack.

your timing chain is no exception to this... when you install a chain, it may or maynot have the slack equal.. whats important is its timed correct when the crank is turned in the direction of engine rotation.

edit:
oh, also... LS1s generally have more slack in the timing chain then a SBC... so it seems more pronounced... i think it just looks bigger because the chain links are larger... but thats just my opinion on why it looks like alot more slack..
Old 10-02-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
the chain is just like that on a bicycle or motorcycle.
the side pulling the load will always be tight, and the other side will have the slack.. on your bicycle, when you pedal, the pedal gear pulls the top of the chain, and the bottom sags with some slack.

your timing chain is no exception to this... when you install a chain, it may or maynot have the slack equal.. whats important is its timed correct when the crank is turned in the direction of engine rotation.

edit:
oh, also... LS1s generally have more slack in the timing chain then a SBC... so it seems more pronounced... i think it just looks bigger because the chain links are larger... but thats just my opinion on why it looks like alot more slack..

Thanks so much for the heads up. I talked to a couple of other guys and they said bascially the same thing.

Mark